• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hidden illnesses and Vaccs

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I need to book my buns in for the vaccs soon. But I've read on here that if you bun has hidden illneses it could die from being given the vaccs.:( I think all my buns are fine apart from Darcy who has possible arthritis. Its not every day but some days I do need to give him metacam. Is this a problem with the vaccs? :?

I have no idea who said that a Rabbit with a hidden illness will die if vaccinated !! That is very, very UNLIKELY to happen. More likely is that the vaccine wont be effective as a good immune response is needed and the Bun's immune system will be too busy elsewhere.

Arthritis is not a reason to not vaccinate, but as always the person to confirm this with is your Vet :)

Thanks Jane. I get panicked over these things so easily. I'm going to go find that thread so no one else gets the wrong end of the stick. :)

I have no idea who said that a Rabbit with a hidden illness will die if vaccinated !! That is very, very UNLIKELY to happen. More likely is that the vaccine wont be effective as a good immune response is needed and the Bun's immune system will be too busy elsewhere.

Arthritis is not a reason to not vaccinate, but as always the person to confirm this with is your Vet :)

:wave::lol: Will go back and edit my post:oops:

What I meant to say was that if the vet is not rabbit savvy, i.e. incorrect health check, it could put a bun at risk, especially the VHD one.

My mistake.

Please get your bun vaccinated. I have lost a rabbit who was not vaccinated and it was awful:cry:

Tulip had myxi jab when she was quite poorly,, and was fine:)

:shock: Hey sorry! I posted that link before you posted on this thread. Thanks for clearing it up and don't worry about it. I get worried about my rabbits really easily. (((((((hugs)))))))

I just didn't want to kill anybun by putting someone off of vaccinating their buns, especially as I have lost one to myxi in the past (unvaccinated):( Tulip can't have them as she is too poorly and I hate knowing she is at risk:cry:

It is so dumb, as I am so pro vacs, for kids, dogs rabbits etc.

I have learnt not to post in haste again:D

I just didn't want to kill anybun by putting someone off of vaccinating their buns, especially as I have lost one to myxi in the past (unvaccinated):( Tulip can't have them as she is too poorly and I hate knowing she is at risk:cry:

It is so dumb, as I am so pro vacs, for kids, dogs rabbits etc.

I have learnt not to post in haste again:D

Oh hun, you're not killing any bunnies. I'm so sorry you lost your bun to myxi. That must have been horrific. :cry:

It was horrible. Way back in time before rabbit savvy vets existed in my area. I didn't even know there was such a thing. She was a lovely girl too, looked like a wildie:love:

That is why I am so shocked I said such a stupid thing. All I meant was they have to have a health check to make sure they are well first. Common practice in a rabbit savvy vet:D

Back