• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can a rabbit have their myxi vac if they have an eye infection?

Just curious as I'm worried that Mischief may still have an infection, he's been on meds for quite a while and it finishes today but the infection can still be hidden. They will have a health check before they are vaccinated but I'm worried. So can buns have their myxi vaccination if they have a slight eye infection or will it effect them badly?

Try not to panic.

When did they have their last myxi jab M&TM?

The vaccine doesnt just 'stop' so you have plenty of time to get the infection sorted, then you can re-asses and look at the vaccination.

If it makes you feel any better, Ginger, who is immuno-compromised is 3 months over-due her myxi booster and doubtful that she'll have her VHD booster when its due, unless she's healthy enough to do so :wave:

The vaccine doesnt just 'stop' so you have plenty of time to get the infection sorted, then you can re-asses and look at the vaccination.

if they have had the injection they are better off than buns who have never had it, i think the recommendation is 6 monthly although some vets only do annually, having seen recent poles on here, so going by this you would be ok being a little overdue.

Barney is 2 months overdue for his. but he has just had an op on an abscess. He is inside atm though so this reduces risk of exposure, can you keep your bun inside? if not maybe you could get a fly net or something to reduce the chance of insects getting into hutch? not sure of your set up. chances are small anyway so dont overly worry.

Thanks, their myxi jabs will be tomorrow. They are all over due. The trio almost a year. :oops: Blossom 2 months over.

Mischief's infection seem to have cleared up. :) He's finished his medicine. I was worried Tink got the infection because she had a bit of a runny eye about 4 days ago but it's gone now and they all seem fine.

Should I go ahead with it?

Back