• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bargain! But feel a bit stupid!

I have just been ringing around all the vets in my area to find out where I can have the cheapest myxi vaccination done. :oops: I'm short on cash at the moment but obviously don't want my buns to miss out on it! :shock:

So I rang 5 different places and was shocked at the price of some. :?

My local vets: £18.70, second local £20.00

Then I rang somewhere completley different where I have never been - £20.40

Then next place was.... £29.09!! :shock: Then also said they did a combined myxi and VHD for £40.80 or something. :? I'm staying clear of there!!

My last hope was a vets near where my dad works and it costs..... £12.18 each! So have all 4 booked in for next monday! Embarrasing thing was that I rang there 3 times. :oops: First to check prices, second to book them in and thirdly because I forgot what day I'd booked their appointment for!! :oops:

I get nervous on the phone :p :lol:

That does sound cheap. :)

But you have to remember that there is a very specific way to give the myxi vaccine. (10% just under the skin and the rest in the scruff.)

Also the bun has to be in tip-top condition to have a vacs. especially the VHD one. Any hidden illness and it could put your bun at risk. Did you check that the vet was very rabbit savvy?

ETA

I :censored: UP WITH MY WORDING SORRY:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:

But you have to remember that there is a very specific way to give the myxi vaccine. (10% just under the skin and the rest in the scruff.)

Also the bun has to be in tip-top condition to have a vacs. especially the VHD one. Any hidden illness and it could kill your bun. Did you check that the vet was very rabbit savvy?

oh God I'm worried now. :( They said they get a health check too. Maybe I'm best to not get them vaccinated at all. :? They were vaccinated last year and have had VHD a few months ago and it went fine.

ETA: They were taking part in NVM, my buns don't qualify for that but it gives me the idea that they care about rabbits if they are doing the promotion?

Last edited:
No, that's not what I mean:lol:

Of course you need to vacs your bun. Just ask them how they administer it:D

Also the bun has to be in tip-top condition to have a vacs. especially the VHD one. Any hidden illness and it could kill your bun. Did you check that the vet was very rabbit savvy?

That's a bit extreme !!

A Rabbit incubating an illness when vaccinated is highly unlikely to die as a direct result of being vaccinated. It is more likely that the vaccine will not be effective as the required immune response to the vaccine is unlikely to be sufficient as the immune system is already 'working' elsewhere (on the incubating disease)

In general only healthy animals should be vaccinated, but giving a vaccine to a Rabbit incubating illness is unlikely to kill the Rabbit.

A Vet should carry out a thorough health check BEFORE Vaccinating and should also take into account the Rabbits past medical history. One good reason NOT to use lots of different Vets for the same Rabbit...............

That's a bit extreme !!

A Rabbit incubating an illness when vaccinated is highly unlikely to die as a direct result of being vaccinated. It is more likely that the vaccine will not be effective as the required immune response to the vaccine is unlikely to be sufficient as the immune system is already 'working' elsewhere (on the incubating disease)

In general only healthy animals should be vaccinated, but giving a vaccine to a Rabbit incubating illness is unlikely to kill the Rabbit.

A Vet should carry out a thorough health check BEFORE Vaccinating and should also take into account the Rabbits past medical history. One good reason NOT to use lots of different Vets for the same Rabbit...............

I am a stupid girl and have hung my head in shame:oops:

Nah, you are not stupid !!

I just didn't want anyone to read the post and totally freak out about having their Bunny vaccinated in case said Bunny had a 'hidden illness'.

:wave:

NO, me neither:shock: After having one die of myxi, before it was common practice, I am the last person to suggest it. It eats me up knowing Tulip can't have any:cry:

Now I know how the doctor behind the MMR scare feels:shock:

Which vet was it? I pay about that for each vaccination too and they seem fine, not really needed to use the vets apart from vaccine, and neuter.

That's a bit extreme !!

thanks Jane. :) Well I used 2 different vets anyway. :oops: One for my rabbits ops but another for vaccinations because the one that does ops doesn't seem very up to date with vaccines and still used cylap for VHD. :shock:

I just thought I'd find somewhere cheaper for the vaccs because it's becoming quite expensive with 4. :( I don't know how you manage with so many, must cost you a fortune! xx

thanks Jane. :) Well I used 2 different vets anyway. :oops: One for my rabbits ops but another for vaccinations because the one that does ops doesn't seem very up to date with vaccines and still used cylap for VHD. :shock:

I just thought I'd find somewhere cheaper for the vaccs because it's becoming quite expensive with 4. :( I don't know how you manage with so many, must cost you a fortune! xx

Just ordered 32 Myxi Vacs :shock:

I do the VHD but I prefer C to do the Myxi as I am not 100% confident about getting the 10% intradermal dose done correctly. Thankfully C comes over to do them as taking that many Buns to the Surgery would require some co-ordination !!

I would love to be in a vets waiting room, with all those buns in carry cages. Would be quite a sight:lol: And I wouldn't know which ones to peer in surreptitiously first:lol:

I have thought to ask Mark how much a call out would be, but I think I would be:shock:

I didnt think you could give myxi and vhd together. I thought you had to wait 2 weeks between each one? I paid £15 for mine. £29 seems abit excessive!! When mine had hers done they waited for a week or two after before they'd neuter her.

I didnt think you could give myxi and vhd together. I thought you had to wait 2 weeks between each one? I paid £15 for mine. £29 seems abit excessive!! When mine had hers done they waited for a week or two after before they'd neuter her.

YOu can't, but some vets offer a package if you have both done with them; it doesn't mean at the same time.:D

Back