• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rescued 5wk old kit found with rear hock amputated how do i care for it?

i found a 5wk old kit that had several large skin tears on it and it's rear hock had been amputated. It is eating fresh wild greens and drinkng water The wild life rescue wanted me to have it euthanized but it is such a survivor i just can't. My neighbour had been weed eating and i found it near where he had been weed eating I think this is what caused the injuries. I have cleaned the areas with novasan and applied antibiotic ointment to th e tears and the amputation site. Please tell me what else i can do.

Omg Bless it's heart, is the amputation site nice and clean, can the bunny move about ok, does he/she appear to be in any pain.

What do you mean by weed eating? do you mean your neighbour has been using a strimmer ?

I think I would take the little fellow to a vet just so they can have a look at the amputation site as it need's to be kept from infection.

Omg Bless it's heart, is the amputation site nice and clean, can the bunny move about ok, does he/she appear to be in any pain.

What do you mean by weed eating? do you mean your neighbour has been using a strimmer ?

I think I would take the little fellow to a vet just so they can have a look at the amputation site as it need's to be kept from infection.

If it is not too stressed and nervous I would take it to the vet.

Unfortunately wild buns of this age can be tricky to keep im captivity as they have learnt wild ways - however a plus point is that it will be eating grass and weeds now and almost fully weaned.

Whereabouts are you??

Ouch,googled it it's using an electric strimmer:cry:Poor little mite needs to see a vet.hope it's ok,well done for rescuing it!x

This poor little wildie needs to see vet - can you imagine the pain he must be in. Well done for rescuing him, whatever the outcome.

Lets hope and pray she has took the advice and took the little bunny to a vet's as it's injuries must be bad if the Wildlife Rescue wanted to put it to sleep :(

Poor little bunny. :(

I think you need to see a vet as I would imagine, at the very least, the bunny would need a course of antibiotics and some pain relief. They may well need to close the wound in some way as well perhaps?

At such a young age the wound will hopefully heal well. I agree a painkiller and antibiotics would be a good idea. It should be weaned so stick with grass and rabbit safe weeds. Obviously long term it's not going to be able to cope in the wild but you may be able to find a safe colony/garden somewhere. It's really hard to predict what it's behaviour will be like, as parsnipbun says it's likely to act like a wild bun as the first few weeks make such a difference.

Oh dear I was hoping that there might be an update on the little fellow :(

:wave: A weedeater is a string trimmer for tall grass and edge trimming. Update, my farm vet examined the lil bunny and said all is well, he gave him some pain meds and a broad spectrum antibiotic and told me the skin tears will heal by themselves. i am to keep them clean and change the bedding frequently. He is still eating and drinking well. All hopes and prayers appreciated

The bunny is very lucky that you rescued him/her. I know someone who kept a wildie who lost a leg and she did great. She did have to keep her separate from her rabbits and the bunny was always slightly wild but seemed to love hopping all around the house even sometimes came for rubs.

:wave: A weedeater is a string trimmer for tall grass and edge trimming. Update, my farm vet examined the lil bunny and said all is well, he gave him some pain meds and a broad spectrum antibiotic and told me the skin tears will heal by themselves. i am to keep them clean and change the bedding frequently. He is still eating and drinking well. All hopes and prayers appreciated

That's good news. I hope the bunny continues to do well. :D

The bunny is so lucky you rescued him. I am glad your vet has seen him and he's got some meds. :) Hope the little guy does well, sending vibes for him.

Back