• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about snuffles u/d post 11

maggiebuns

Warren Scout
:wave: Just need some advice really,
:?
Is snuffles passed on from the mother rabbit at birth,
Are lop-eared rabbits more prone to snuffles than uppy eared rabbits

I have had rosie for 12 weeks and she has started sneezing with a bit of discharge from her nose, I had to go to the place where I got her from, for some litter, and I asked one of the assistants these questions as above, he said he didn’t know if it is passed on at birth, and that lops are more prone to snuffles, just need to know before I email their head office,

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
I believe it can be passed on from any rabbit with an active infection. So if mommy rabbit wasn't actively infected then it is unlikely.
Think of it like rabbit flu.

Most likely the bunny has been exposed to a rabbit presenting with active infection. This is common with mass-bred rabbits because infected rabbits are not spotted and so quarantined soon enough.

I don't think lops are any more or less likely to contract snuffles. It'd be like saying people of spanish descent are more or less likely to contract the common cold than people who are not of spanish decent.

Many rabbits carry the bacteria that causes snuffles, some may never have an active infection but it can flare up from time to time.

Has Rosie experienced any stress recently?
Have you handled any rabbits other than Rosie without washing your hands after?

x

Last edited:
thank you for your reply, rosie hasn't been stressed :) i do wash my hands now since she started sneezing before i sort the other two out, i'm hoping its just mild as she dosn't get the discharge every time she sneezes, i just felt really angrey with the way the man spoke to me when i questioned him about rosie, :(

thank you for your reply, rosie hasn't been stressed :) i do wash my hands now since she started sneezing before i sort the other two out, i'm hoping its just mild as she dosn't get the discharge every time she sneezes, i just felt really angrey with the way the man spoke to me when i questioned him about rosie, :(

Buckley just looks like he has green fur round his nostrils when he is snuffly.
He doesn't sneeze out any discharge. His nose just runs a bit haha.

Have your other two ever had snuffles while Rosie has been with you?

I don't think there is very much the store can do but write a calm email about how they should better educate their staff on common illnesses of the pets they sell

If she doesn't sound wheezy, is still eating a pooping normally, then it should be fine after a course of antibiotics. She might still be carrying the bacteria after the antibiotics though so keep a look out for future flare ups :)

I hope Rosie gets well soon :)
xoxo

thank you :D the other two haven't had snuffles, i will email their head office, she isn't wheezy, and she's eating, pooing as usual, she fine in herself running about and binkying, its just the sneezing is worrying me as it sounds err snoty but no discharge every time, will phone vets and get her booked in, thanks for you help :)

thank you :D the other two haven't had snuffles, i will email their head office, she isn't wheezy, and she's eating, pooing as usual, she fine in herself running about and binkying, its just the sneezing is worrying me as it sounds err snoty but no discharge every time, will phone vets and get her booked in, thanks for you help :)

Under vet care it's highly treatable even if it doesn't go away permanently or at all. It can be kept under control with baytril or other medications.

Under vet care it's highly treatable even if it doesn't go away permanently or at all. It can be kept under control with baytril or other medications.

:D thank you, will i still be able to get her spayed if she has snuffles, this is all new to me never had a sick bunny x

:D thank you, will i still be able to get her spayed if she has snuffles, this is all new to me never had a sick bunny x

Personally i wouldn't neuter your snuffle bun- it's too much strain to put a snuffle bunny under anesthetic in my view. I didn't with adonia- it causes breathing difficulty which is serious in my view. I wouldn't. Others may have different views, but having had several snuffle buns - i wouldn't if it was serious. If the condition is already diagnosed. Ordinarily i'd neuter a healthy bun asap though.

I don't think there's any point in wondering about what may or may not be the long term prognosis and whether she will be ok to be spayed before she's seen a vet in the first place. None of us can diagnose or say whether she's well enough for this or that.

If it is something snuffly, I would be very insistent with the vet that she is treated aggressively - if she's still young, there's a good chance that if it's treated well and long enough at the outset, you might be able to prevent it from becoming a chronic problem (this means that the sooner she gets to a vet and treated the better). One of the problems with snuffles is that it forms abscesses in the respiratory tract which make it very difficult for antibiotics to penetrate, so if you can catch it quick and deal with the infection before it gets deep into the hard to reach areas, you might find that it just solves and doesn't recur.

Lops are more prone to snuffles etc than other breeds because of the shape of their face. Wild rabbits don't have lop ears because that's not how 'nature' intended them to be, so lops (and netherland dwarves in particular) do tend to have more of these issues. But if it's a youngster, I'd say it's more likely to just be something picked up from the mum/litter, as hopefully the bun is too young to have tooth root overgrowth which is a common issue causing chronic snuffles in lops.

If she's treated quickly and lengthily now, hopefully you can get it completely resolved. If not, you'd have to take a judgement call on spaying with your vet. Personally I would probably do it - the risks of uterine cancer/pyometra are so high that I'd rather have a young, healthy-ish (if you can get it done in between episodes) bun spayed than an older bun which has to be done as an emergency due to cancer or infection. I've had several snuffly buns neutered before and Santa had several dentals even while having quite severe snuffly episodes and I've never had a problem with a snuffle bun, GA and recovery. But each case on its own merits, on the advice of a vet, I guess.

Good luck :)

thank you for your replies , :D

Just a quick update on err rosie,

took rosie to the vets, her one eye looked a bit sore, she checked her lungs and her chest and they were clear, tummy is nice and soft, she put this tooth thing in her mouth to check her back teeth and they seemed fine,so it could be the very early signs of snuffles, or an irritation, she gave her an injection of meta something carn't remember the name and gave her a course of septrin, if she's still sneezing in a weeks time to pop her back. oh and she also checked her bum, :oops: she's a he :shock:

Back