• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused????

Rabkat

Warren Scout
Hi all, I'm new to this froum but have been reading here for a few weeks. There seems to be a lot of knowledgable folks so hope someone can advise me please.
One of my rabbits is 11 years old and he recently lost his brother, who had to be PTS. He was very depressed and I decided to get another friend for him, so far that's not working out, but that's another long story.
Anyways back to Slick, he's a netherland dwarf, a little butterball but although he's eating and drinking he doesn't seem to be p'ing or pooping. He's an outside rabbit and usually does the toilet in the same place but for the last few days, there is hardly any poo, as for urine that's a bit difficult to say as his toilet is compost. I've looked around his run and inhis hutch and there is no sign that he's using a new patch for toileting.
I've felt his tummy and it's quite podgy, he appears well enough, he's quiet but at his age that doesn't worry me too much and he was always the less dominant one.When he's out in the other run I have for them he's inquisitive.
Sorry for going on but I really think I should take him to the vet for a check up, my OH seems to think I'm over reacting, as I don't drive, I feel as though I have to justify myself, but I would feel easier if maybe someone on here could advise me, thanks.

Not pooing can be very serious, I don't want to alarm you but there could be an obstruction and in that situation without treatment it gets worse and harder and harder to treat. Bunny needs vet asap imo.

I think you need to get your rabbit to a vet today, as soon as possible. I would be very concerned if my rabbit had not been pooing or weeing :cry:

Good luck at the vet.

Not pooing can be very serious, I don't want to alarm you but there could be an obstruction and in that situation without treatment it gets worse and harder and harder to treat. Bunny needs vet asap imo.

Agreed.

You're not over-reacting, a visit to the vet is in order. Is he still eating as normal?

Confused

Thank you, I feel you're both right so OH is just going to have to get the car out. I'd rather be over cautious than have my poor bun in pain.

Confused

Just back from the vet and he's fine. She said he doesn't have much in there when she examinded him, so he's not compacted. As he's still eating she feels it could be his age and that things are starting to slow down.
He doesn't eat as much as he once did and he drarely eats hay, but then neither him nor his brother ever did. I'll just keep my eye on him and make sure he's happy enough and not in any way uncomfortable.
Thanks for the help and vibes. :)

I am glad the vet visit went ok. How old is your bun? Wonder if there are any natural foods that could stimulate his appetite a little. I wonder if things like raspberry or bramble leaves would help, or a little dandelion, or else herbs like mint, basil etc. Just a thought. :)

Well done for getting your little old man to the vets so promptly, it is always well worth doing in a situation where a bun might be having tummy issues. Im so glad hes not impacted, thats fab news :wave:

Confused

Hi Helgalush, he's 11, so quite an oldie. he's always been very fussy regarding food, he loves parsley but won't look at basil or mint, not ken on turnip but loves carrot and apples, which he only gets a couple of times a week. His all time favourite food is wholemeal bread soaked in milk, has been eating that since he was weeks old.

Thanks Gemma, it is a load of my mind, they're such a worry at times. :)

You certainly were right to get Slick to the vet to be checked. He could well be pining for his companion.:(

Hi Helgalush, he's 11, so quite an oldie. he's always been very fussy regarding food, he loves parsley but won't look at basil or mint, not ken on turnip but loves carrot and apples, which he only gets a couple of times a week. His all time favourite food is wholemeal bread soaked in milk, has been eating that since he was weeks old.

Thanks Gemma, it is a load of my mind, they're such a worry at times. :)

Awwww bless him. :love:

Back