• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rapid breathing

Jan

Warren Scout
Has anyone experienced these symptoms in their rabbit? Bill is my rescue bun I adopted 6wks ago. When we collected him from the pets at home adoption section his breathing seemed quite rapid I put this down to him being a bit stressed due to being in a busy shop. I asked if he had been checked by a vet and they told me he hadn`t. After letting him settle in for a week I booked him in to be neutered by my vet, during the examination the vet said there would be a greater risk to him because of this. He didn`t seem duly worried so it went ahead. When I collected him they said it all was straight forward and nothingelse was said. It has been a few weeks now and as the breathing didn`t improve I took him to the vet to get a second opinion, It now seems it could be heart failure or pneumonia! You can imagine my shook he has now had an antibiotic, steriod and dieretic. It is now a wait and see situation. When he breathes his mouth is not open and he doesn`t seem distressed at all. I must admit he is eating alot more now and his coat doen`t look as dull. Anyone had this happen in any of their buns?

I am just praying that things improve.He is bonded to my lop Ruby as we lost her companion Joe only 2mths ago.And they both just adore eachother.

I have a rabbit that was left untreated, by a past owner, with pneumonia.

She will be on steroids and antibiotics for the rest of her life, but she is a happy little girl:love:

I am concerned that your vet did not listen to your buns chest before the op? Do they strike you as competent with rabbits? If it were me I would be looking for a new vet.

Also I would be asking for x-rays to be done, so that they can tell where the problem is.

Loads of vibes to your bun.

I don't have any advice, but I didn't want to just read and run. I'm sending many vibes to Bill. xxxxx

Bill has been seen by the vet as I already said, I would never leave anything untreated. They want to see him back in a few days time to see how he is doing. He seems to be alot happier and is eating alot more, he really doesn`t seem distressed at all. Thank-you everyone that has sent good positive vibes for him. It`s good to feel there is support out there.

Sorry I didn't read the whole post my fault I was just concerned as this is what Frankie had and can be very serious. Sending loads of vibes and hope things improve.

Bill is definately happier now he hasn`t stopped eating these last few days. He has put on a bit of weght now and is alot more bouncy.Fingers crossed he continues to improve.:D

Back