• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure where to post this

cazzat1979

Warren Scout
:oops:I know this is the wrong section,

Just wondering about cages,at the mo i have Minni (french lop) in a ferplast 120 which is 118cm length,58cm width and 51cm high

but my friend has a dog crate going free which is 104cm length i know this is a bit smaller but the width and height are alot bigger.

Just wondering if it would be a better option seeing as shes going to get alot bigger, when i am home which is most of the time between school runs ill let her have run of the frontroom etc
Caroline

xxx

Last edited:
I'd go for the dog crate as it's wider and higher and you can also easily attach a puppy pen to it if you need to keep her in at any time.

If she is a french lop I wouldn't put her in a cage or crate that small. The poor thing needs space to hop around.

When I had my french lop I didn't think that 6 foot cages were big enough for her, so considered a play house with attached run. In the end she stayed in the house and had her own double bedroom and free run of the whole house when I was at home.

If she is a french lop I wouldn't put her in a cage or crate that small. The poor thing needs space to hop around.

When I had my french lop I didn't think that 6 foot cages were big enough for her, so considered a play house with attached run. In the end she stayed in the house and had her own double bedroom and free run of the whole house when I was at home.

Hi
Yes she is a french lop,she only 10 weeks at the minute,she is a indoor rabbit and i am going to let her have run of the house when i am home,which is pretty much most of the time,i only got her friday so shes still settleing in.
xx

Aww, still a baby then.

Do you have a rabbit proofed room you could keep her contained in when you are out? She could then have the cage as her base - so she could go back there for toileting and eating/drinking. :)

Enjoy your new bunny.

Hi, I think most people find NIC cubes or a puppy pen or a very large dog crate is best as a base for a house rabbit. You can pick these up fairly cheaply on Gumtree, Ebay, Pet Supermarkets etc.

My advise would be to take a look around the site, perhaps using the search facility at the top of the page, to see pictures of indoor housing used by members. You will find some fabulous ideas.

Other areas that should be useful to a new bunny mummy are Health (vaccinations and neutering as well as what to look out for as signs of illness etc), Diet - something we often get wrong at the beginning.

Welcome by the way and remember RU love pictures of beautiful bunnies ;)

In my experience house rabbits don't necessarily need a base. Mine have closed off areas that they can retreat to if they want but these are just a chair or a table with a blanket over it. Then their litter trays are in another corner, water in another corner, etc. I find bases fiddly to clean.

The floor area is the most important thing so if the crate width x length is bigger than the cage width x length then I think the crate would be a good step up.

I think a base is handy with a new rabbit so they can settle with all their things close to hand, and then you can gradually increase the area they have access to. It can be a bit daunting for a young bun to suddenly have an entire house to explore. It also helps them get the hang of litter training and you to learn all the bunny proofing mistakes you make :lol:

Long term with a bun the size of a french lop then you'll either need to add a pen to the crate or bunny proof a room. As she grows up you can see what sort of a chewer she is before you make a decision :)

My rolo franch lop cross is in a 120cm for a week or so, as he has ust been neuted, tho he is never shut in its used as his base, he has constant free range of the play room

231103_2077024603853_1192116864_2559956_6509571_n.jpg

silly rolo got up and cudnt work out ow to get down :roll:
230264_2105171067497_1192116864_2582297_61231_n.jpg

he does take up alot of room! when he stands up he hits his head of the roof bars :roll:

The floor area is the most important thing so if the crate width x length is bigger than the cage width x length then I think the crate would be a good step up.

I think a base is handy with a new rabbit so they can settle with all their things close to hand, and then you can gradually increase the area they have access to. It can be a bit daunting for a young bun to suddenly have an entire house to explore. It also helps them get the hang of litter training and you to learn all the bunny proofing mistakes you make :lol:

Long term with a bun the size of a french lop then you'll either need to add a pen to the crate or bunny proof a room. As she grows up you can see what sort of a chewer she is before you make a decision :)

Yes am going to use the crate and also get a run for if i am going to be out longer than normal.

But when i am in she will be able to have run of the house,shes still settleing in ive left the cgae door open so she can come out which she has a few times and had a sniff and hopped back in,so shes gradually getting used to us.

Shes booked into the vets friday for a health check and her first injection

It sounds like you're doing all the right things :D Letting her explore in her own time is a good way to help her gain confidence :thumb:

Back