• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is she pregnant?

KazFluffy

New Kit
My rabbits are 12 weeks old today. They have been living in seperate cages for 2 weeks now but having a run out together every day. My boy Toffee has shown no sign of being sexually interested in Poppy so far, but I have been supervising carefully none the less. Tonight he tried to mount her. I have no idea if he managed to mount her properly, and I pulled him off within 2 or maybe 3 seconds. She was on her hind feet reaching up the side of the run so I'm hoping he didn't manage to penetrate. I'm really worried as Poppy is small, too small and too young to give birth. I thought I'd be quick enough to stop this happening and I'm really angry with myself now.
This may sound like a really stupid question, but can a vet do a blood test to see if Poppy is pregnant? I've looked it up online but haven't found any answers. Does anyone know please?
Thanks
A very worried Bunny Mummy

I have no idea, sorry. I hope she isn't. But please don't let them go in the run together until they're both neutered/spayed. Don't beat yourself up too much.xx

I really wouldn't think she would be pregnant, but best wait for someone else more experienced to come along.

I don't think vets can do a blood test, a urine test maybe, but I don't think its very common.

Yes, it is possible she is pregnant, it only takes a couple of seconds for a successful mating. Rabbit's mature at different rates so there is no set safe age. Generally, they shouldn't allowed to mix after 10 weeks but that doesn't mean every rabbit instantly becomes fertile at 10 weeks.

I don't know if pregnancy tests are possible, but certainly if so they aren't common. Generally people just wait 4 weeks to see if babies arrive. In circumstances like this you have the option to spay now which would prevent the pregnancy. You would need an experienced vet to spay at 12 weeks but some do at that age.

more info

Hi
Thank you all for your replies. I have been doing some more research online. Toffee didn't fall off to one side, grunt or squeal - he didnt have time as i pulled him off in 2/3 seconds. Does that mean it wasnt a successul mating? Also, as Poppy was literally standing up on her toes reach up the side of the run being nosey, could Toffee have actually connected properly with her in this position? I've been watching some videos of rabbits mating online to try and learn more and all of them have the female sort of flat on the floor during mating.
Many thanks
K

Hi
Thank you all for your replies. I have been doing some more research online. Toffee didn't fall off to one side, grunt or squeal - he didnt have time as i pulled him off in 2/3 seconds. Does that mean it wasnt a successul mating? Also, as Poppy was literally standing up on her toes reach up the side of the run being nosey, could Toffee have actually connected properly with her in this position? I've been watching some videos of rabbits mating online to try and learn more and all of them have the female sort of flat on the floor during mating.
Many thanks
K

Are you planning on getting them neutered?

yes they will be neutered

Hi
Yes I am planning on getting them neutered. I have visited the vet about it and discussed it with her. She said Toffee cold be done from 3.5 months if he was fully developed (though I was planning on maybe leaving until 4 months). But when she checked him at 11 weeks she could hardly find his testicls so I may have to wait a few extra weeks anyway.

And Poppy will be done at 6 months.

The vets are calling me back shorlty so I can have a chat with them to see what they think. Some people have said she could be neutered at 3 months by an experieced vet but I'm guessing that would be quite dangerous at such a young age.

I've read tht if she is ready for mating her genital area will be red/purple and swollen. I've checked her this morning and she is pale pink and not swollen.

I'm 99% sure it won't have been a successful mating the more I read online, but of course I just have a nagging doubt and worry about my little Poppy.

K

Rabbits are induced ovulaters, they don't have season or get ready for matings so there won't be signs on her.

Although 'falling off' is a sign of mating. Puling him off before he did it or not doing it dos not guarantee that mating didn't happen.

I do think with the age, the chances of pregnancy are reduced but there is no way to be certain she isn't from their behaviour.

Back