• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many in play house setup?

Bunny-mum

Young Bun
We have a wooden play house that we are hoping to convert for the bunnies I currently have two a lion head and a lop. Would I be able to bond another one or two into that group in a playhouse/ run set up?

Oh yes that will help lol it is about 6ft long and 6th wide and we are planning on putting another level in it. There is no run attached at moment as it is empty the rabbits are in a hutch/ run combo at moment but there will be a run attached when we do it which could be any size really with in reason.

It depends how big a run you attach :) Say 6x4 you could maybe have 3 bunnies, go up 6'x10' then 4/5 maybe 6. Depends on the size of the bunnies and the group really. Also if they have access to any other areas.

At the moment my two have a run on the grass and come in for some free time in the living room every day!

And the run could easily be 6ft by 8/10 ft.

I would really like a netherland dwarf rabbit or similar size. Would a smaller rabbit be able to live with a lionhead and a lop? X

Yes, a Nethie would be just fine :) I'm presuming your lop is an average mini/dwarf size not a giant french lop, although even that doesn't completely rule it out but you'd need to be more careful with the intro. Some little buns have big personalities so the size difference doesn't seem to bother them :)

No she isn't a giant breed!

I want to get one from a rescue that's what made me ask if two would fit in but rescues some times have single bunnys don't they x

Yes, they often have single bunnies they just pair them up for company/to save space. If you let them know what you are looking for they can also hold off pairing up a bun if they get one suitable.

I would go as big as you have space for and your current buns will love it and you have plenty of options. You could then work with a rescue to find a bun or bunnies that your two like :)

I've heard it suggested that introducing two pairs is easier, but I haven't had groups myself, I'm sure a good rabbit rescue can guide you on that.

It's also worth checking with your local rescue what their 'rules' on housing is for adoption. Though what you're planning sounds like it would pass most rescues requirements with flying colours!

I have 6ft by 9ft kennel style runs (ie roofed) with raised hutches of 3ft deep by 6ft wide in each . .so they can use all of the bottom area, plus the hutch plus top of hutch (as all are ramped).

I have 4 buns in each of these and they are very happy with them.

Used to have larger aviary style but tbh they only used the sheltered parts of those so we swapped.

They also get a couple of hours lawn time most days - though less some days.

I worry that if I have 4 rabbits I won't have enough time to spend with them every day and then they won't be friendly and tame. Does it make a big difference how long you spend time every day cuddling them?

I currently have 3 bunnies one pair and a single bunny (she has issues so can't be kept in a pair). They all have different personalities so I think some will always be more cuddly than others. So you can have enough time to spend with all of them if you want too. My pair are so busy with themselfs they tend to want attention only when they are ready and not before.

I have a trio of bunnies arriving within the next month so I will be with my 6 of them even more. But once again some of them want attention where others want to be left alone.

I think as long as you are comfortable with your 4 and relaxed they will be just as friendly back to you.

:)

Back