• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

post spaying advice

I had my two bunnies spayed on friday - Thankfully they seem to be back to their normal selves today but one of them had a few complications during her op as she had fat around her womb - when I picked her up today to help her out of the cage I noticed she smelt strongly of urine, I then noticed she had a matt of feces near her stitches but she WILL NOT let me near her back end atall, I understand it must be sensitive for her especially as she had complications but Im wondering if I should intervene or let her try and clean it herself. Im worried incase she gets an infecetion :-s

any advice appreciated

Firstly, well done for having your girls speyed & great to hear that they are both doing ok :D

Can someone help you clean your bun? It's much easier with two people. You can use a towel and wrap her in it to prevent her from injurying herself and you. I would suggest kneeling on the ground so that if she wriggles she doesn't fall off anything. I think it's important that the wound is kept clean but this must be done with great care & very gently. Do not pull or tug at the skin.

ETA: will she be going for a post op check up? If so perhaps this could be brought forward to tomorrow and the vets could help?

Last edited:
Back