• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I'm losing Joey :-(( Post 47 Eating after 2 weeks!

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Joey is my 10 yr old nethie lad:love:

He turned his nose up at his food on Thurs evening, so I took him to the vets Friday morning thinking his teeth may be the problem, as he wanted to eat, but it looked like it was painful, so he gave up.

His teeth were fine (not surprisingly as he was only checked 4 weeks ago and has never suffered with teeth probs) but the vet reckoned it may well be the jaw muscles wearing out.

He's been on metacam and metaclop since Friday,butd has lost all interest in food :-(

I've got some critical care and mashed up pellets in him. I'm at work today so I had to wake him up at 5.30 am to syringe his brekkie,but I think he's giving up:(:(:(

Can't believe we might lose our little man :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh I am sorry :cry:

I hope that he remains as comfortable as possible

My 'fading away' Buns all seemed to want to eat just grass in their final days, maybe Joey may feel able to do so ?

Oh.. so sorry that he is not himself. 10 years seems quite old though I'm not sure how old Nethies get to, so maybe he is just getting to a point where it is old age getting the better of him. It's a shame, and I'm not really sure what to say in your situation apart from lots of virtual hugs for you.

All I can suggest is to keep trying him with his favourite foods, herbs and leaves, and try baby fruit/vegetable food

Oh I am sorry :cry:

I hope that he remains as comfortable as possible

My 'fading away' Buns all seemed to want to eat just grass in their final days, maybe Joey may feel able to do so ?

He has been out in the garden with BB, but just tends to sit with her rather than munch.
I've tried most things that he loves, but he just won't eat.

I'm going to get some pureed apple at break time to see if he takes that ok.

I think the hardest bit is pestering him when I don't know for sure whether he wants to be left alone.

I'm going to carry on syringing him for the next few days, but if he looks to be on the way then we may have to help him.
I can't bear to think of him having a horrible end:cry:

I'm so sorry :(

We went through the same with Winston, my elderly boy, a year ago. He wanted to eat but couldn't physically do so. He'd just nibble a mouthful then stop. More by luck than judgement I happened to pull his lips back and saw he had a tumour on his gum, right at the corner of his mouth (where the vet wouldn't have seen whilst checking his teeth).

I doubt Joey has anything similar, but it's definitely worth checking his gums and inside his lips just in case.

Sending lots of vibes for Joey x

so sorry to hear that joey isn't eating. 10 is an amazing age (im not sure how old nethies can get but it seems pretty old to me :oops: ) i hope this time can be peaceful for both of you. big hug xxx

I know how you feel :( Poppy wants to eat her food herself so badly but we have to feed her through syringes still :( She's only 4 though. I thought the antibiotics were working but she's sneezing so much more so I don't think her jaw is getting better. Still feels really lumpy :?

I hope he's okay :( *vibes* (*vibes from Poppy too*)

What a difficult situation for you :(

10 years is a wonderful age :) He's obviously a much loved & well cared bun :love:

I hope you can help him to get his appetite back. Have you tried some natural goodies like bramble, dandelion etc? Maybe some herbs?

Sending lots of fee better soon vibes for little Joey xx

Thank you for the vibes for my Joey.

I got him some pureed apple at lunchtime and syringed some in, and I've just got some more critical care, mushed pellets and apple into him, but he seems a bit exhausted by it all:cry:

He hopped out with BB when I got home, and he tried to eat grass, and even went to nick the tortoises cabbage, but couldn't eat it.

I'm so hoping a few days being "force fed" will kick start him, but have a gut feeling that he may have decided it's his time, and I really won't push him past what I think he can cope with.

I know I've been lucky in that I haven't lost a rabbit in the last 5 years, and even though I know Joey has had a great life, I don't want him to go:cry:

Back