• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Lucky moving his mouth when he's not eating?

whitehood

Warren Veteran
It looks like he's eating something but that's not possible as I haven't offered him food.
He hasn't picked something off the floor either, he's inside he was doing this yesterday too :?

It looks like he's eating something but that's not possible as I haven't offered him food.
He hasn't picked something off the floor either, he's inside he was doing this yesterday too :?

In what context? If while being stroked or sitting half asleep then this is just gentle tooth purring and a sign of contentment.

If he looks distressed doing it or is fully alert then it might be that he has dental issues and needs his teeth checking, OR it could be that he has something stuck/caught at the back of his mouth. What is his posture like when he is doing it and when does he do it? All the time or just occasionally? Any grinding sound?

In what context? If while being stroked or sitting half asleep then this is just gentle tooth purring and a sign of contentment.

If he looks distressed doing it or is fully alert then it might be that he has dental issues and needs his teeth checking, OR it could be that he has something stuck/caught at the back of his mouth. What is his posture like when he is doing it and when does he do it? All the time or just occasionally? Any grinding sound?

Not being stroked, he's sitting on the sofa I'm on the computer chair away from him.
He's doing a sitting pose and his mouth is moving like he's eating.
No grinding sound
He's lying down atm and looks relaxed

Buckley does it when he's sleeping or in between binkies. Apprently bunnies' mouths move like they're chewing when they're happy :)

Was it Lucky who was sneezing/had nose discharge? Did he go to the vets then and did they check his teeth then?

Was it Lucky who was sneezing/had nose discharge? Did he go to the vets then and did they check his teeth then?

Yep that's Lucky
He didn't sneeze after so I thought he was ok.
The discharge was gunk that needed clearing didn't appear again
I never went to the vets

Sorrel used to do this a lot and we never linked it to anythign specific.

She did have severe dental probs but I'm not sure it was connected, it didn't coincide with her needing a dental or anything :?

I gave him a grape,
I sat on the floor observing his mouth while he ate, I saw his upper teeth and they were small
Isn't a dental issue mean the teeth are over grown and bigg
His were small
I saw his upper teeth 4 times.

I gave him a grape,
I sat on the floor observing his mouth while he ate, I saw his upper teeth and they were small
His were small

Dental problems often affect the back teeth, so you wouldn't be able to see by watching him eat.

There is a good thread on symptoms of dental trouble here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287479

to be honest if the only thing is him moving his mouth around, I wouldn't worry - although it's always good practice to have their teeth looked at when they go for vaccs anyway, just in case. :)

I gave him a grape,
Isn't a dental issue mean the teeth are over grown and bigg His were small

Dental issues often relate to the molars - the back teeth which you can't see.

ETA: posted at the same time as clutterydrawer :wave:

I gave him a grape,
His were small

Pebbles had problems with his molars at the back, growing into his cheek, but his front teeth were perfect. So may be worth getting his back teeth checked.

No, he doesn't produce ceacals, they only produce those when they are short of fibre.He eats plenty of grass and hay

Not sure that's quite right :? All buns produce ceacals, some more than others maybe but I think all should produce them. They tend to be produced more at night though.

ETA: did it again :lol: Agree with clutterydrawer :wave:

Last edited:
No, he doesn't produce ceacals, they only produce those when they are short of fibre.
He eats plenty of grass and hay

Rabbits produce caecals all the time, you just don't normally see them because they eat them straight frmo their behinds :oops: Sorry, couldn't think of a more delicate way to put that! It's kind of like cows chewing the cud - it's a way of getting every last bit of nutrients out of their food.

I didn't think of caecals before, that's a good point Steph :oops:

Sometimes you will see your rabbit forage around in his bottom area :oops: then make chewing motions for a bit - that is him eating his caecals.

Although Sorrel's thing was different, she was just squishing her mouth around for no apparent reason.

I gave him a grape,
His were small

It could be his molars causing him problems.

Back