• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Symptoms of dental problems

demikaijuu

Warren Scout
Ok So i'm probably completly over-reacting - but would rather be on the safe side.

Had George out today - he was flopped under the desk and we were having some snuggle time (me stroking his nose). I went to stroke near his Jaw, barely touched him and he really went for my finger. I'm hoping it was just me shocking him and that he hadn't seen my hand - but part of me is worried that there might be something wrong :(

He is eating fine, no problems with both pellets and veg. He has unlimited hay and munches it constantly and has no problems drinking. He has plenty of energy - is constantly running and binkying around and does not appear to have anything wrong with him. Manage to get a quick look in his mouth when he yawned and there is no signs of any sores or anything looking out of place.

Like i said probably over-reacting but it made me aware that in the event that he does have dental problems I don't actually know what to look out for. I know that some dental buns can't eat properly and dribble when drinking but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you

Gradual weight loss is one way to pick up on it - I weigh my buns at set intervals to get an early warning should problems develop.

Pawing at the mouth or seeming to choke (on improperly chewed food) is another.

Rabbits with runny eyes may have overgrown tooth roots - the root grows upwards and presses against the tear duct.

Another useful check is to feel under their lower jaw for any unusual lumps and bumps - its a common site for abcesses, which are a problem in themselves, but are often linked to other dental problems too.

Hi as you've already said you may notice that your bunny can't chew his food,maybe drops it,he might grind his teeth loudly(difficult one as they grind softly as a comfort/contented expression but can grind loudly when in pain) dribbling,matted chest fur,watery eyes can be a symptom.More advanced dental issues might present as lumps along the jaw line area. Hope George is ok though:)

Thank you

Fairly sure I just shocked him - cause afterwards he was fine and being his usual cheeky self (demanding treats). just want to make sure i know what to look out for. :wave:

As well as what has been listed already, there may be no signs and then they just stop eating.

If you are unsure and to be on the safe side, it is best to get George checked out by your vet.

Wetness around the mouth, selective eating such as only eating soft foods and not hay or pellets. Chewing, but not eating, it looks like they are chewing gum.

If a rabbit develops spurs on it's molars it can cause damage to soft tissue in the cheeks, this can cause a lot of pain and stop them eating (I would imagine it's like having a mouth ulcer to us) - if you have any doubts ask your vet to check them for you:D

ETA George is :love: especially his ears:D

My Pebbles was still eating and drinking and running around - I only noticed when I picked him up and noticed under his chin seemed a bit wet, and he felt a bit "bonier" along the spine and shoulders. His eyes also looked a little wet underneath, but apart from that he seemed OK. I took him to vet on Wednesday and he had his molars done on Thursday as they were growing into his cheek. Many of the early signs would have been easily missed if I hadn't of picked him up and looked under his chin, and if I didn't "know" the feel of his body.

I weighed him Wednesday and he was 1.62kg - he is now 1.68 Kg, so will keep an eye on his weight.

Back