• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harnesses?

Bunny-mum

Young Bun
My two girls have a 6ft hutch with run underneath and a separate run on the grass but was wondering about getting them a harness each so they can explore the garden?

My garden isn't escape proof so I would need them on a harness and lead! Does anyone else do this with their buns and do they seem to enjoy it?

Thanks Cerri

It depends if they like them. :) Only one of my 4 is happy with being in one. He loves it and binkies in it! :D The other 3 on the other hand HATE it and will never be wearing one again. :(

Mine hate his - so i've never tried to put it back on him cause it really stressed him (and me) out.

But have seen buns that LOVE it - mine just isn't one of them lol

You could always buy a cheap one and see if they take to it, usually the younger the bun the easier it is to get them used to it. The important thing is that the harness isn't too tight or too loose, otherwise the rabbit could hurt itself or try chew it's way out, you can distract them with treats too

mine loves it :)

the thing to remember is, if she doesn't like it, that's it.
don't try to force either of them :)

you may find one likes it and the other doesn't

Only Domino likes the harness, but i'm hoping that when Lula is spayed, she will be calm enough! ;) Domino didn't want me to take the harness off him today! :roll: :love: lol

Forgot to say it also depends on the harness. The general style is a 'H' harness, it's secure but can be a bit heavy for some buns and it goes around their neck. Rope harnesses are quite dangerous being around the neck and so thin, but they're very lightweight so a lot of rabbits prefer them. You can also get harnesses that go round the rabbits chest rather than neck

I was looking on eBay earlier and seen rabbit t-shirt harnesses has any one used those? X

I haven't, not sure if they go around the neck but I imagine the rabbit might not like the feeling of being fully enclosed in a T-shirt style harness

I have a few H-shaped harnesses.. I bought extras as though my Ben likes his harness, he tended to chew them lightly for the first week or so, but now doesnt care!
If you want I could post you one to trial? Have a few that haven't been used at all, though since kept near Ben's hutch might have his scent.

Personally, I don't like them as I feel the potential for injury if a bunny is suddenly spooked is far too great a risk.

Could you use puppy panels or similar to fence off a safe section of the garden, or to block off areas that are potential escape routes?

i am not totally against them but i dont see them as a substitute for free-ranging - bunnies cant run fast/bunny 500/binky etc in a harness.

Years ago me and my sister used them on our rabbits and they were fine.

When I got Daisy, as an adult, I used one on her. She too was fine until one day something spooked her, the lead got wrapped around her leg and she panicked, she actually screamed.

I never used one on her again and haven't used one with my most recent rabbits.

Personally, I don't like them as I feel the potential for injury if a bunny is suddenly spooked is far too great a risk.

Could you use puppy panels or similar to fence off a safe section of the garden, or to block off areas that are potential escape routes?

I agree, I dont like them either and think there are safer and more fun ways for the bunnies to exercise like making a run out of puppy panels.

They have a 6ft by 4ft attached to their cage and one the same size on the grass plus they come in to free range for a couple of hours a day but I definatly could fence off a bit for them too x

I think that would be a better option. :thumb: Rabbits are prey animals and, while some accept a harness, it can be quite a distressing experience - normally the tight feeling they have around their neck/chest would be a predator trying to eat them.

It's much more relaxing & rewarding to be able to sit on the grass and watch/interact with your bunnies as they roam/jump around as opposed to having to follow them around on harnesses, especially if they want to go opposite ways. :shock: :lol:

People might argue you could attach a long lead to the harness to solve the problem, but that's just another added danger.

Ah that is such a kind offer but I really couldn't expect you to do that! X

I dont mind, as I said I have several.
But its up to you if you wish to try using a harness or not.

I admit Ben doesn't wear one apart from going to the vets or taken for a walk round the garden... (Gonna cost £700 to secure the garden!)

Back