• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Natural decongestants

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Looking online the first thing I came across was onions. Then spicy foods... :?
Is there anything that's safe for rabbits that you know of? Something I can leave around for him to inhale or put in his food?

I know of a few drugs and other remedies but I'd like to try something natural if I can first.

Albas oil? I know isn't not recommended for rats but vicks is apprently ok for guinea pigs and that's similar :wave:

Albas oil? I know isn't not recommended for rats but vicks is apprently ok for guinea pigs and that's similar :wave:

My sister did some research for me and found out that vicks is good too. I could put it on some cotton wool and put it next to his food while he eats or put it on the outside of the hutch at night. There is also Bisolvon which I could sprinkle on his food. But I wanted something natural if I can find something safe.

I was a bit too upset at the vets to remember to ask about decongestants. So I'll be ringing her next week sometime. Just doing a bit of background research first.

Personally I would not use Vick or Olbas Oil. A Rabbit's sense of smell is MUCH more acute than ours and IME Vick/Olbas Oil actually causes discomfort, especially if the nasal passages are already inflamed

Steam inhalations or a humidifier would be what I would start with :)

My sister did some research for me and found out that vicks is good too. I could put it on some cotton wool and put it next to his food while he eats or put it on the outside of the hutch at night. There is also Bisolvon which I could sprinkle on his food. But I wanted something natural if I can find something safe.

I was a bit too upset at the vets to remember to ask about decongestants. So I'll be ringing her next week sometime. Just doing a bit of background research first.

I used to put olbas oil in a jam jar of hot water, with holes poked in the lid, and tie it to a cage bar so she couldn't knock it over :)

Just in case you do end up using it.

Personally I would not use Vick or Olbas Oil. A Rabbit's sense of smell is MUCH more acute than ours and IME Vick/Olbas Oil actually causes discomfort, especially if the nasal passages are already inflamed

Steam inhalations or a humidifier would be what I would start with :)

I thought vicks reduced inflammation? I wouldn't put it right in his face though. Hmmm....

Also I don't want to nebulise him as such. I don't want to confine him in any way as that would increase his stress. Would having something like a bowl of boiling water outside the hutch at night work at all? It has an overhang so the steam would go into the hutch and they would be safely away from it.

So sorry. :(

I'm just trying to find ways of making Grim a little more comfortable without intruding on him if that makes sense.

It does :) Skye is on Bisolvon at the moment, she has improved slightly, but I don't know if that's the Bisolvon or the Septrin. Hope Grim improves soon x

It does :) Skye is on Bisolvon at the moment, she has improved slightly, but I don't know if that's the Bisolvon or the Septrin. Hope Grim improves soon x

To be honest it's not likely he will. :(
Just trying to make him comfortable and seeing how it all plays out. The infection isn't really responding to any antibiotics although in the past it was virtually eradicated with depocillin, it just isn't touching it any more. My vet suspects it's in both his tear duct (which is blocked by his molar roots) and possibly in his jaw/ roots as well. So far it's not spreading, so fingers crossed. We are trying other options, at the moment we're back to basics and giving Baytril a go. But I've decided I'm not prepared to do anything too radical, he's been though enough in his life. It's not what he wants. But he's a fighter and he'll carry on. He's happy for now and I intend to keep him that way for as long as I can. :)

Hi,:wave:
I have used Olbas oil in burners before which I think helps and also bisolvon from the vets (sprinkled on food or injectable). It has got rabbits through myxi where they could hardly breath because of the inflammation of mucous membranes.

B
x

Hi,:wave:
I have used Olbas oil in burners before which I think helps and also bisolvon from the vets (sprinkled on food or injectable). It has got rabbits through myxi where they could hardly breath because of the inflammation of mucous membranes.

B
x

Thanks. :)
Which would you recommend more?

Back