• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried Mum!

honeybunny11

Young Bun
My little boy is being neutered on Monday - he is a 5 month old netherland dwarf.
But I'm starting to worry tho because he is still so small .. will the vet weigh him before to check that he is a suitable weight for the op? Other than that he is a healthy/happy little thing. Don't know whether to wait for a bit longer?
So worried for him :(

I'm sure the vet will weigh him first :) But if you're worried, you could always ring and discuss yoru concerns with them? If they're a good vet they won't mind, they'll just take it as a sign that you're a responsible owner.

Remember to make sure he has pain relief afterwards and to keep a close eye on his behaviour to make sure he's still eating and pooing. (Sorry if you already know that - wanted to put it "just in case" )

I'm sure he'll be fine, keep us updated :wave:

Yep, the vet will weigh him before the op :). The earlier the better, lots of people have bunnies neutered at 5months, sometimes even earlier :).
Try not to worry, easier said than done though, I know (my lil man was neutered last month). Hope all goes well for your wee man..x

The vet will need to weigh him beforehand, they won't do it if hes to small. You can always ask them about it when you drop him off.
Many rabbits are done at 5months, hes young and will bounce back quick:)

I had the same worries with George - spoke to my vet about it over the phone before I took him in and they reassured me that if they thought he was too small then they would wait till he was bigger cause little bunnies can have problems with anasthetic.

Took him in and he was fine - gave the nurse a few scratches :oops:

Hope all goes well for the little boy :wave:

How much does he weigh? I have just had cookie my nethie done on Thu and he is 6 mths old and weighs 1kg :)

awww I know how you feel cookie was only about 365g when I got him just a bag of bones really I never thought he would be a normal size :) I have free fed him pellets since I got him so I think that helped! You could always wait a month for peace of mind I was terrified having lost Fluff last year after her spay ( she had a twisted gut) but he is recovering so well he is back to his bouncy self :)
Dont forget your camera when you put little one in the scales there is nothing cuter :love: I always forget mine :lol:

Back