• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trancing

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any info on what it is, and why it's such a bad thing? :wave: It can cause a heart attack right?

It's a bad thing because the rabbit is in fear for it's life and is playing dead. It's a high state of stress and I just wouldn't put any rabbit through it.

It's a fear response, so if you do it you are scaring the :censored: out of the rabbit. No good owner who actually knows why it happens would dream of doing it. Unfortunately it's not widely known. :(

I'm a fairly new first time bunny mum...what is trancing, how do they get in that state...is there a trigger. I'm now really worried about it and don't want to accidently send my boys into a trance thinking they are enjoying something, but are actually scared witless.

I'm a fairly new first time bunny mum...what is trancing, how do they get in that state...is there a trigger. I'm now really worried about it and don't want to accidently send my boys into a trance thinking they are enjoying something, but are actually scared witless.

Trancing is where you lie the bunny on it's back and it gets so scared, it plays dead, staying flat on their backs with feet in the air.

Trancing is where you lie the bunny on it's back and it gets so scared, it plays dead, staying flat on their backs with feet in the air.

This. Lots of people do it (including me, when I was new to bunnies! :cry:) because it looks really cute and they assume that cuz bunny is lying so still they must be happy and relaxed.

I go to a v. Rabbit savvy vet & wen he clips their claws he slowly slips them backwards so they are still and clips them no probs, is this trancing? They dint seem stressed or scared, just really calm.

Meant to be *tips* them backwards!!

I go to a v. Rabbit savvy vet & wen he clips their claws he slowly slips them backwards so they are still and clips them no probs, is this trancing? They dint seem stressed or scared, just really calm.

Meant to be *tips* them backwards!!

Are they lying right back, or more in a sort of 'sitting' position?

When I was younger my neighbour did this to his rabbit and I was amazed

It's not something I reccomend, you'll end up with a scared rabbit and in a lot of cases some nasty scratches. I have to do it to check some of my rabbits underneith, others will just be cradled like a baby whilst still being sat up.

Does anyone know how far 'back' they have to be to be classed as in a trance? Does the head have to be lower than the back?

No, not sat up, I'd say head lower than back legs.

Wouldn't they have to be layed backwards to have their head lower than their legs? :?

I don't think people should do it for fun, hey look I hypnotised a bunny, but if that's the only way you can check a rabbit underneith it's important to check for matts and flystrike etc. some rabbits need to be in this position for claw clipping and scent gland cleaning too. I have a rabbit who is fairly small but extremely strong and not one person, me, a vet, experienced rabbit judges have been able to sit him backwards in more of a cradle position, the only way I can properly check him is to trance him

My last vet (note the emphasis on last) did this to one of my girls when checking her down there parts for matts. Said he learnt it off you tube :evil:

Last edited:
Back