• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed about Lionhead needing a forever home

MarieAnson

Warren Scout
Can anyone help or offer me some good advice?

As some of you know I lost my bun approx 10 days ago. He lived indoors with our family, but really he was mine and I took full responsibility for him.

There are no immediate plans to find another bun and even visiting a nearby garden centre which had baby buns, I still decided against getting one just yet.
HOWEVER! On Gumtree I came across an advert that had been posted on several occasions over the past two months. It is from a international student in Notts City Centre who has to return to China next month, therefore she is looking for a new forever home for her bun.
He is a 1yr old, sooty fawn lionhead. His name is Kaka and is very sweet natured and he has got to me already :love:
I have arranged to go and meet him tomorrow, but all is not well.
The husband is not very happy about me considering a replacement just yet. I think husband hoped that I would suddenly lose interest in buns and not want another ever again. How wrong!
The thoughts of getting this bun had actually given me something positive to focus on.

If I am brutally honest, this bun is probably a little too soon coming into my life after the death of Thomas, but I can't help worrying about him now and the fact that he will be without a home next month. I am prepared to take him but it has caused a huge argument with husband, mainly because he doesn't understand how I get so attached to buns and love them so deeply.

I can't bear to walk away knowing that I could offer Kaka a safe and loving home, but I know that if someone else were to come along and offer the same, then I would definitely wait a little longer before I get another bun.

Is it possible to put him on here as a 'Rabbit in need' and I am happy to liaise with his owner about this. The sad thing for me is that she is desperately trying to get me to take Kaka, she obviously has an urgent need and it is making me feel more and more responsible to try and secure him a forever home, even if that isn't with me.

I don't want to upset my family but I am so concerned about this bun, I can't turn the other cheek and ignore his plight. He isn't neglected, or mistreated, he is just needing a loving forever home.

Any advice?

you could always take him on a foster basis and try and find him a home yourself. at least that way you know there is no time frame to find him the perfect home :wave:

you could always take him on a foster basis and try and find him a home yourself. at least that way you know there is no time frame to find him the perfect home :wave:

I was thinking that too. It might at least placate the husband a little anyway, and then he might come to love the bunny....

I would add as a boring voice-of-reason - :oops: - with the whole fostering idea you would need to bear in mind that it could be long-term as bunnies don't always home quickly. :)

Also; if said bunny isn't neutered you would probably need to get this done out of your own pocket if you do decide to rehome him on.

I do see your concern as it does sound quite urgent. However; do bear in mind that there are sadly lots of bunnies out there in need and we can't save them all. When I have looked for hutches to go in my set-up or whatever some awful pics and stories have come up which have made me cry but I know I can't take on more bunnies at the minute and if I did I would want them to be from a rescue so I have an idea of what their health is like and their personality etc.

Am very sorry you've lost your bunny and in my not-so-reasonable mode I'd say if you honestly feel you need to take this bunny on and you can care for him long-term then go for it. I just feel it's very unlikely you'll be able to rehome him on afterwards....... you sound pretty attached already.... ;)

(I work in Chesterfield - not far from you at all!! :wave:)

Thanks Hanlou

I live in Clowne. Whilst you are on, which vets do you use in the area? I can only find a vets in Alfreton that advertises that they have expertise in rabbits.

Thanks for your support and advice.

Thanks Hanlou

I live in Clowne. Whilst you are on, which vets do you use in the area? I can only find a vets in Alfreton that advertises that they have expertise in rabbits.

Thanks for your support and advice.

Lol well you're really close to me then! :p

Currently using Bolsover Vets (which is a big clue as to where I live!) but tbh haven't found one in this area I am 100% happy with. I have got a couple on 'standby' thanks to Bunnyaddict but they are Sheffield way so a lot further away. Chapel House (Chesterfield) let us down with other small animals - especially operation-wise where Bolsover have at least shown total competence in operations on small animals - they even neutered my mice!

Jack gets so stressed that having a very local vet is priority but if any big issues came up I have the further away vet in mind...... fortunately Jack and Hollie are very healthy and have only had to go for jabs etc so far. :)

fostering is an idea - it may appease your hubby (and hopefully get him to love bunny too so then you can join the ever growing 'failed fosterer's club':D)

@Hanlou

I was born and lived in Bolsover for many years. I still work at the secondary school there.:wave:

I used Bolsover vets but I am now with Chapel House, but mainly for my Bearded Collie who has spondylosis and an enlarged heart :(
they have been good regarding dogs.

There is the vets in Clowne but I don't know about their small animal reputation.

@Hanlou

I was born and lived in Bolsover for many years. I still work at the secondary school there.:wave:

I used Bolsover vets but I am now with Chapel House, but mainly for my Bearded Collie who has spondylosis and an enlarged heart :(
they have been good regarding dogs.

There is the vets in Clowne but I don't know about their small animal reputation.

Lol it's a small world! :)

Bolsover vets aren't the cheapest and I have no reason to doubt Chapel House when it comes to cats and dogs - but they aren't very good with small animals. I feel they let me down with my chinchillas very badly. :(

What's worst is that they seem to have a bit of an 'attitude' about small animals - as if I as a paying customer should just be grateful they are willing to try and save the life of my small animals and should take what vet care I get in that spirit. They really (as a practice) don't seem interested in making any progress in this field. I never had any health issues with Jack and Hollie whilst they were there and they may be fine with rabbits - but given their track record with operations I decided to leave them. :(

Hope your collie will be ok - I love collies. xx

Back