• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help bloat

caismeister

Alpha Buck
One of my rabbits has got bloat she has been to the vets this morning and has had a metacam injection,metoclopramide and fluids. She is refusing to eat still and I've got her on a snagglesafe as she feels cold. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Where is the bloat ? Stomach or intestines ?

Metacam alone is often insufficient analgesia in cases of true bloat, an opiate is often needed too.

Do you have any Gripe Water or Infacol ?

When was her last fecal output ?

It's her stomach and have got infacol in not 100% on Last fecal output as she has a partner but I would say late last night and she's done none today because seen no misshapen ones

She had an x ray and no obstruction was found. I've got a massager on her don't know if that's right but she seems to like it

I'm sorry I don't have any other advice, just that if you think she is deteriorating I would take her straight back to the vets. Is she drinking at all?

Lots of vibes for her xx

I found getting my bun rested on my chest and tum and wrapped up helped. I would gentley rub up and down each flank in turn to massage his tum. Think this worked 3 fold. The comfort of the owner close, my body heat and the actual massage.
Do you have any liquid feed or herbs? Syringe feeding may help depending on the exact situation.
Zantac as well as metoclopramide may be of benefit.
Good luck and keep us up to date xxxxx

She had an x ray and no obstruction was found. I've got a massager on her don't know if that's right but she seems to like it

My beautiful girl passed away in the night cuddled up to me in bed. I can't believe how sudden this has happened I'm in shock she was fine one minute and then within a few hours I was rushing her to the vets

My beautiful girl passed away in the night cuddled up to me in bed. I can't believe how sudden this has happened I'm in shock she was fine one minute and then within a few hours I was rushing her to the vets

I am so very sorry :cry: Acute bloat is evil

RIP little Bun xx

:cry:

You poor thing!!!!!

She will have felt so safe and secure next to you. I hope that gives you some comfort even if not now then in the future.

Take care of yourself and your other buns too xxxx

Still thinking of you and your poor little lady!!!

I know very well how much sadness this will bring you.

Big hugs to you and happy binkies to your lady rab xxx

Saw this last night and came back to have a look to find out what had happened.

So very, very sorry :(

So sad I'm sorry you lost her, sadly it does seem some are lucky with this condition & others not. My doe pulled through which I largely attribute to the opiate pain relief and IV fluids all day then she rested all night & went on grass in the morning which seemed to trigger eating it's a horrid condition that has to be caught early hence why we all suggest vet visits for stassis early bloat starts very similar & it's vital to rule out obstruction & get fluids in, I have no doubt without the IV ness would not be here, they were able to get so much fluid & electrolytes/minerals etc via that than I could have done syringing her which would have stressed her aswell, best treatment is dose them up & get them on IV I think them back to 'normality' asap. You did all you could & she knew you loved her that's the main thing.

So sad I'm sorry you lost her, sadly it does seem some are lucky with this condition & others not. My doe pulled through which I largely attribute to the opiate pain relief and IV fluids all day then she rested all night & went on grass in the morning which seemed to trigger eating it's a horrid condition that has to be caught early hence why we all suggest vet visits for stassis early bloat starts very similar & it's vital to rule out obstruction & get fluids in, I have no doubt without the IV ness would not be here, they were able to get so much fluid & electrolytes/minerals etc via that than I could have done syringing her which would have stressed her aswell, best treatment is dose them up & get them on IV I think them back to 'normality' asap. You did all you could & she knew you loved her that's the main thing.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Take comfort from the fact that you did everything you could and that she would have felt safe and loved.

Binky free.

Back