• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Were the vets able to do dentals on bunnies back teeth 21 years ago

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
I have been thinking about a rabbit who belonged to a friend, it was 21 years ago and the bunny developed teeth problems, his back molars, the vets at the time said nothing could be done, nowadays they would treat the bunny with a dental, could they have done this 21 years ago, I remember my friend going for second opinions etc, it was awful she was devastated.

I would think it would have been quit unlikely. I know Benji, our first bun, was the first rabbit castrate our vets did about 15 years ago. The anaesthetic risk were high and they have much safer ones to use on rabbits these days.

I remember in the 90s my friend having to have her dental bun pts because the vets didn't know what to do for him and he eventually got a nasty abscess.

I don't know, but I know that the use of anaesthetic on rabbits used to be MUCH higher, so I doubt they'd have wanted to try it.

I've been told that's why a lot of people are still against neutering, they're not aware that sedation has before safer.

Thank you for your replies it is a relief really to hear that nothing could have been done, I went with my friend from vet to vet she begged each one to help, they advised to have bunny PTS, my friend was heartbroken, and seeing how they can give bunnies dentals nowadays I always wonder if she had have found the right vet could things have been different

my first dental bunny was a mini lop called mitzi, it was about 1999 when he had to have regular dentals and remember vet saying it would be best to remove his teeth, i was against it thinking he;d have no back teeth, how would he eat, but i nver got the chance to make a decision like that as when i was on holiday mum found him dead in teh hutch, she had only just fed him, left the house for 30mins came home to let him back out and he was gone :cry:

my first dental bunny was a mini lop called mitzi, it was about 1999 when he had to have regular dentals and remember vet saying it would be best to remove his teeth, i was against it thinking he;d have no back teeth, how would he eat, but i nver got the chance to make a decision like that as when i was on holiday mum found him dead in teh hutch, she had only just fed him, left the house for 30mins came home to let him back out and he was gone :cry:

I'm sorry for your loss

I'm sorry for your loss

it was a long time ago now, he was rosie's first manbun before mowgli, it was him that made me love mini lops, he had really small ears which i loved :love:

he was neutered though as i wanted him to live with our french lop rescue rabbit, as he kept trying to get to her, she was elderly, but they just loved each other, she wasn;t speyed but they got on like a house on fire

Back