• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much hay does your bunny eat?

lilly and val can go through a whole storage box(litter tray) and two half moon flower basket hay rack things :lol: full each day.

yet since snow and thumper have had to be seperated when im not there (because shes not spayed yet, booked in for start of june and gets VERY grumpy with him) but anyways, yeh since then ive noticed that neither really eat that much hay. together they could eat one hay rack full but seperatly its usually about half a rack per day and over night too :?

how much hay do your little bunsss eat?..

They pretty much empty the litter trays each day and then they sit in the hay bag for hours and munch out of there too :lol:

Buckley probably eats about his volume in hay. But he's a very small rabbit. And it varies from day to day.

By his volume I mean I take out a handful "decompress it" (it's very tightly packed so I loosen it up a bit) and put a pile the size of him next to him in his litter tray.

I worried that he wasn't eating a full hay rack of hay but then I realised he has a lot of other sources of hay: litter trays, he always has hay in his carrier, hay cookies.

As long as their poopies look good and their teeth are healthy then they probably are getting enough hay :)

Also, they might eat less when they're separate because they miss each other. Think about when you're in a relationship. When I'm with my OH I eat a lot more than I do or would by myself. Maybe buns are the same :)

Buckley probably eats about his volume in hay. But he's a very small rabbit. And it varies from day to day.

By his volume I mean I take out a handful "decompress it" (it's very tightly packed so I loosen it up a bit) and put a pile the size of him next to him in his litter tray.

I worried that he wasn't eating a full hay rack of hay but then I realised he has a lot of other sources of hay: litter trays, he always has hay in his carrier, hay cookies.

As long as their poopies look good and their teeth are healthy then they probably are getting enough hay :)

Also, they might eat less when they're separate because they miss each other. Think about when you're in a relationship. When I'm with my OH I eat a lot more than I do or would by myself. Maybe buns are the same :)

yeah snow is about the size of buckly:), they have been eating less when their apart they do miss each other but snow is to unpredictable shes fine one min and then she gets angry and nips him, shes getting spayed in about 2ish weeks so until then they are just in with my all day to see each other:)

Cooper eats his hay rack full of hay a day.
Which would mean about twice the size of his body weight.

Marley and Dexter are a bonded pair and I put a huge pile in there 32L storage box and that all gets eatten.

Willow would eat about the size of her bodyweight in hay.

I have two buns, one large (3.5kg) and one small (not sure on weight) and they get through 1 and a half ikea bag holders a day, which holds about the same size as my large bun, so just about enough. Their poops havent been great recently though, so I am trying to get them to eat the same as they used to (2 full bag holders in 24hours).

Cooper eats his hay rack full of hay a day.
Which would mean about twice the size of his body weight.

Marley and Dexter are a bonded pair and I put a huge pile in there 32L storage box and that all gets eatten.

Willow would eat about the size of her bodyweight in hay.

I also should add I think Willow needs to eat more hay from looking at her droppings, yesterday I got her to eat a good bit and her droppings were nice and golden but usually they can be a little darker than they should be. She wasn't used to hay before I got her.. so today I am getting her a fancy type of hay and trying her on that and she may eat more and I'll grow some grass for her too.

Back