• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell if a bond is broken?

BexPets

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

Hope this isn't too complicated !
Have a pair of three years who were, up until now, absolutely infatuated with each other. They've been together since I saw them at the breeders (7 weeks old), although they're not siblings. They are the same age, same size, and similar breed (a large lop and a lion lop.)
There's been no problems, and then we moved them into a double story hutch with a 9 x 5 foot run.
They are male and female, neutered 3 years ago, but the male has been chasing the female, aggressively mounting and ripping out fur. They no longer sit together in the run, and are often apart. They occassionally growl or grunt at each other, and seem to have lost interest in each other.

Should I split them up? Move them? Is there something I can try?

Thanks,
Becky.

hi :wave:

im sorry i dont have the experience or answers but just bumping the message up for you :wave:

Haha Thank you :)

I just need a bit of advice on bunny splits! Don't know if it's just arguing or serious!

:wave:

only had our buns for 6 weeks and no behaviour issues so far.

hope someone can advise you though :D

:wave:
I'd take them both for a vet check to rule out any illness with either bun as this can be a trigger for a bond deterioration.
Although it does sound like the move to the new hutch/run may have kicked things off.
A couple of queries - then I can give more advice :)
Was it a new setup or 2nd hand?
If 2nd hand had you thoroughly cleaned & neutralised it?

Ok we'll book a vet appiontment,
The hutch was being used by another of our rabbits but was thoroughly neutralised, whereas the run was on the grass and used by different rabbits, but this pair had spent time in their before without problems.
Thanks, I'll neutralise it now. But it has been 5 weeks, surely it would be covered in their scent by now?

OK
I'd do the the vet check & if all ok then follow up with reducing their space to give them time to re-strengthen their bond. Or even go to a rebond in completely neutral space. The old 'in a carrier for a drive in the car' trick may help too.
I'd guess that it was the grass area being used by other buns prior to them that set them off.
I know how stressful this can be when a bond seems to not be going so well especially when your intentions were to give them more space ie a better life!
Hope you get this bunny couple back on track. :)

Back