• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunnies climb?

Wondergirl

Alpha Buck
Question in the title really!

I'm only asking because my OH has painstakingly made a huge run for the girls. It's about 3ft high and in need of a roof at the moment but I've put the bunnies in it, in the garage, for today.
As I was leaving, Fern took a flying leap at the wire and jumped about a foot in the air and clung onto it! I didn't know whether to laugh or panic! She's such a cheeky bun. Thankfully she dropped off into her litter tray.
I'm just wondering, can bunnies climb vertical slopes in general?!? Lol.
Roll on tomorrow when the lid goes on!!!

when i had mowgli and rosie in their younger years and i went away, nan annd grandad made a run for around their hutch in garden when they played out, and well somehow mowgli jumped over it and it was nearly 5ft high :shock:

Mine can! One in particular, Maisy, throws herslf up the wire of the aviary, maybe 4 ft high, she "runs" up the wire and gets on top of the hutch which is about 1m high.

I found my bridge bunny (a cheeeky nethie) sat on top of a 6ft fence once. :shock: There was nothing nearby to 'give him a leg up' so he either jumped it, scrabbled up the fence or shimmied up the drain pipe. I'd give anything to know how he did it.

They could probably jump 3ft clean in the air from standing if they wanted. They could also 'scramble' up a 6ft fence if it's made of mesh and they have a bit of a run up.

Sometimes they will jump and cling onto the mesh, they can't really climb any higher than they get on the first jump, unless they jump very near the top.

You definately need a roof :)

They definately can but think it depends on their personality whether they do or not! 1 of mine loves to climb but the other doesn't even try.

When Blackie first moved into the aviary he started climbing the mesh - got quite a long way up, too :lol:

Dandelion has also had a go at climbing, again, getting up about 3 feet.

I've also seen tiny baby nethies balanced on top of the side of a run, having climbed up there :shock:

Apache can climb up but not down, I reglarly find him up the furniture and have to lift him down.

I used to have a basket specially for this purpose, but Skye ate it. :roll:

Back