• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does a run have to be on the ground?

Ok random question I know :lol: Reason I ask is because I am having a new set up being built. Was meant to be having quite a large aviary style run attached to my rabbits shed but unfortunatley the run space is going to be smaller now. It was going to be bigger so that I could section off part of it for my single rabbit. However, as it's going to be smaller (8 x 7ft run with a 7 x 5ft shed) I can't really section off part of the run for Blossom or the other 3 buns wouldn't have enough room, so my dad has suggested building a second story in the shed and aviary run. :shock: So... Blossom will have a sleeping area in the shed but will be able to come out into a run in the aviary that is above the other buns so not flat on the ground. It's a weird idea but means she would be getting much more space until I bond her with the others. Is this ok?

I've considered something similar with my indoor bunny pens.

As long as Blossom feels safe/is safe I can't see a problem with it. Is there somewhere on the same level as the other bunnies as it may be weird for her communication-wise with the others if she's 2 or 3 ft up in the air?

I've considered something similar with my indoor bunny pens.

As long as Blossom feels safe/is safe I can't see a problem with it. Is there somewhere on the same level as the other bunnies as it may be weird for her communication-wise with the others if she's 2 or 3 ft up in the air?

ahh good point :) I will probably ask my dad if he can put some shelves in the shed so that the other buns can go up and see her. I could put their food dishes up there so they'd be there for quite a while next to her. :lol:

This is in effect what I've done with three of mine now. They have what I would call a verandah rather than a run. They are runs with wooden bases on stilts attached. The latest one I did this week isn't very big but it has doubled the size for the particular pair of bunnies. I make mine out of pallets with deckboards over the top (less work building sturdy frames) and then add the normal run panels or aviary panels on top. All of mine however, do have covered roofs so that means they aren't quite the same as your normal runs.

This is in effect what I've done with three of mine now. They have what I would call a verandah rather than a run. They are runs with wooden bases on stilts attached. The latest one I did this week isn't very big but it has doubled the size for the particular pair of bunnies. I make mine out of pallets with deckboards over the top (less work building sturdy frames) and then add the normal run panels or aviary panels on top. All of mine however, do have covered roofs so that means they aren't quite the same as your normal runs.

yeah my dad is wanting to use deckboards :) Do you have any pics of yours? They sound great. :)

Here are a couple of snaps. As I said, they aren't the biggest so not 'runs' in the conventional sense but these are all attached to either extended houses or sheds.

I think they are a bit of fun.

Decks001.jpg

Decks007.jpg

Decks003.jpg

Decks006.jpg

And this is the last one I did this week for my blind bunny Barney and his wife so it couldn't be too fancy as he has to find his way around. This is attached to a wendy house on stilts (as it stands over a flower bed). Barney had no trouble in findiing his way outside and Summer Pudding thinks she's died and gone to heaven for being able to run in and out.

Decks005.jpg

Can't imagine it being easy to clean or get the bunnies out of, but apart from that I can't really see a problem :)

Duchess I think we'll have to change your name to Queenie, the queen of condo's and ideas :lol: I love your idea's and set ups they are lovely:love:

Back