• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introduction from new member

Cowboi23

New Kit
Hello everyone, my name is Richie and my bunny is called Mr. jingles. He's just come through a very very nasty case of GI stasis. I came looking for advice on the net and found this site when he was at his worst. Thankfully, through loads of care from my fiance Vikki and myself, he's pulled through. At the moment I cannot upload pictures as I'm writing this on my mobile phone, but as soon as I can, I'll show you all Mr Jingles. I love how caring everyone is on this forum, and its clear how much you all loves your bunnies, it really inspired me to get him through his illness as I realised how much love there is for our bunnies. Out of interest, from my experience with gi stasis, belly massage, from front to back, as well as side to side, REALLY helps with bloat. Also, infacol (available from boots) has been great too. We never gave up hope, despite our vets telling up twice that he wouldn't pull through. (He went 72 hours without food other than critical care that we syringe fed him). Hope all your bunnies are well, and thank you for such a wonderful site. Richie x

Thank you Tiger lilly :) I forgot to say, Mr Jingles is a Californian bunny, he's a little over a year old (not 100% sure as he was abandoned by his first owner) and he has the nicest temperament. I mean he will sit on your lap for hours on end while you give him love and smoothes. I'll upload pictures as soon as I can work it out! :D

Thank you Orange :) Can anyone let me know how to upload a profile picture underneath my name id? I would be grateful for any help :D

Mr Jingles Picture

I hope this works?....

Try using photobucket and you just copy the IMG code over and hey presto the picture comes up, I'm glad Mr Jingles has come through the stasis - stasis and bloat and are very similar but bloat is a bit more serious, it's always worth analysing the situation afterwards to think about what may have caused it, did his routine change, did he eat something different, was he moulting and not eating enough hay, was he lacking exercise? All things like this can contribute and that is why it's so important to know your rabbit like any other pet, so the day they are not 'right' you pick up on it straight away. Always get Mr Jingles checked at the vet before you administer anything or syringe feed won't you, it's important to rule out obstruction and check temperature etc - they will advise you on pain relief etc - you might find feeding a couple of sprigs of dill to Mr Jingles beneficial - Infacol essentially has the same properties and most bunnies love dill :wave:

Hello & welcome, sorry to hear your bun has been so poorly but glad he is better now. It was a lovely introduction (not lovely that he has been illof course, but that you found the advice you needed).

Will look forward to pics.

PS Aww he's scrumptious in that pic! :love:

Try using photobucket and you just copy the IMG code over and hey presto the picture comes up, I'm glad Mr Jingles has come through the stasis - stasis and bloat and are very similar but bloat is a bit more serious, it's always worth analysing the situation afterwards to think about what may have caused it, did his routine change, did he eat something different, was he moulting and not eating enough hay, was he lacking exercise? All things like this can contribute and that is why it's so important to know your rabbit like any other pet, so the day they are not 'right' you pick up on it straight away. Always get Mr Jingles checked at the vet before you administer anything or syringe feed won't you, it's important to rule out obstruction and check temperature etc - they will advise you on pain relief etc - you might find feeding a couple of sprigs of dill to Mr Jingles beneficial - Infacol essentially has the same properties and most bunnies love dill :wave:

Hi, thank you for your advice about photobucket, I'll definitely try that next. I can tell you exactly what caused Mr Jingles to be ill, he went to the vet and they had to put him to sleep to cut some spurs from his back lower teeth. However after the operation, they did not give him painkillers or the medicine to get his guts moving. Worst of all, they cut his mouth really badly, which stopped him from wanting to eat. This is what caused him to have GI Stasis. We immediately knew he wasn't well, and took him to a different vet, who gave painkillers and medicine to get his guts moving again.

He didn't start eating and started getting bloat, and it was quite serious too. So we rushed him back to the vet who kept him in overnight. He was there for two nights, and when we finally got him home, we syringe injected saline solution into him (to ensure he had enough fluids to get his gut moving again) and administered all his painkillers, antibiotics, zantac, infacol, and critical care. We nursed him constantly day and night, and massaged his belly all ways until it finally released and he started producing droppings. We've become experts in this condition and our (new) vet (we changed from the first one as their level of care was completely unsatisfactory) is extremely impressed with how we've cared for him, stating that we have literally saved him, as we had realised something wasn't right so early on.

It's been a very tough time, but thankfully now, he seems completely on the mend, and is back being his usual mischevious and inqusitive self :D

Thank you all for your support, I love this forum, I love looking at all your bunnies, they're just amazing!

x

Welcome to the forum!!

Hmmm...sounds like your vet isn't that bunny-savvy.

If you start a thread in Rabbit Chat, saying where you are, people should be able to recommend you a bunny-savvy vet.

:wave:

Back