• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to worry about sneezing?

glitzy-paws

Warren Scout
I've just heard Frodo do a few little sniffing/sneezing kind of noises. I checked his nose and it was dry not runny. Unfortunately I only heard him sneeze I didn't see him do it so I'm not sure if anything mucus wise came out of his nose. He's still eating and binkying like mad :D

I'm so paranoid about this because I immediately think it's going to be Pasteurella as a few days after I got Jet she started to sneeze but this was a lot and more like a human sneeze. No antibiotics were working so in the end she had to have penicillin injections which thankfully cleared it. The vet suspected it could have been Pasteurella bought on by the stress of being bonded with Frodo and then being brought into a new home. She also said that it could come back again when she becomes stressed :(

Ever since this I have been on edge worrying that it will come back in Jet or surface in Frodo. I took them to the vets last week for their Myxi jabs and i'm worried it may have stressed them out.

Does anyone elses bunny do random sneezes?

Buckley had snuffles but they cleared up before his Myxi vac... he had his vac on monday and has been sneezing in little sneezing fits but with no discharge so I don't know what's happening either!

It terrifies me when he sneezes for the same reason; the vet said to keep an eye out for signs of the snuffles returning so I'm a bit hypervigilant about it :(

Bunnies do sneeze sometimes just because something tickles their nose, like a bit of hay dust.

If it's frequent, or you have any doubts at all, a vet checkup wouldn't hurt.

I was worried about my rabbit Skye as she has had respiratory infections in the past and she has been sneezing more than usual recently, I took her to the vet who wrapped her up securely in a towel and had a good look up her nose - a little bit of snot was just visible so we started her on antibiotics.

Another way to check is to look on the insides of their front paws to see if they're wet/matted, which shows they've been using them to wipe snot off their nose!

Hope your bunny is ok x

Buckley had snuffles but they cleared up before his Myxi vac... he had his vac on monday and has been sneezing in little sneezing fits but with no discharge so I don't know what's happening either!

It terrifies me when he sneezes for the same reason; the vet said to keep an eye out for signs of the snuffles returning so I'm a bit hypervigilant about it :(

It's so horrible isn't it. I always feel like I'm constantly looking for little signs of it and then trying to convince myself I'm just being paranoid. I didn't sleep for 3 weeks when Jet had it, I made myself quite ill because I just didn't know what to do to make her better and I blamed myself for putting her through the stress of being adopted by me.

I hope Buckleys sneezing doesn't get any worse.

Bunnies do sneeze sometimes just because something tickles their nose, like a bit of hay dust.

If it's frequent, or you have any doubts at all, a vet checkup wouldn't hurt.

I was worried about my rabbit Skye as she has had respiratory infections in the past and she has been sneezing more than usual recently, I took her to the vet who wrapped her up securely in a towel and had a good look up her nose - a little bit of snot was just visible so we started her on antibiotics.

Another way to check is to look on the insides of their front paws to see if they're wet/matted, which shows they've been using them to wipe snot off their nose!

Hope your bunny is ok x

Thank you.

I checked his paws and they are fine thankfully. I'm hoping it is just a bit of dust or hay up his nose and that it won't happen again. Another sleepless night for me as I expect I'll be up all night listening out for noises :(

My vet never really gave me a definite answer to what Jets sneezing was so I'm still in the dark about what the cause was. If the pinicillin injections hadn't of worked they would have then started tests.

I wish they could speak so they could tell me when they felt poorly :D

Back