• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloated Tummy - Any adivice please

I have two female rabbits, both just about to turn 8 weeks old and one of them has what appears to be a bloated stomach. She is still active and jumping around and playing but I have not seen her eat for drink since I got home. I've compared her belly to my other rabbit and it seems slightly larger. I also havn't seen her poop today at all and am worried that something might be wrong.

If anyone has any advice if there could be anything wrong with them or if she may be fine I would really appreciate it =)

I have two female rabbits, both just about to turn 8 weeks old and one of them has what appears to be a bloated stomach. She is still active and jumping around and playing but I have not seen her eat for drink since I got home. I've compared her belly to my other rabbit and it seems slightly larger. I also havn't seen her poop today at all and am worried that something might be wrong.

If anyone has any advice if there could be anything wrong with them or if she may be fine I would really appreciate it =)

At 8 weeks old, any gastric upset is rather more serious than in adult rabbits as there could be an infective agent. If you can not tempt her to eat anything then she will need to see a vet tonight i'm afraid for emergency treatment. Good luck x

Emergency vet, ASAP. Not a single thing any of us on here could do to help you, at all, whatsoever.

Good luck.:(

Thanks guys I'm really worried about her :(

Its not massively bloated just a little. I have made an appointment for Monday, will that be too late? She has just done a couple of little poos and is still jumping around like usual - is that normal if she has a funny tummy? It's not hugely bloated and slightly squidgy to touch.

Yes, if she is bloated or in GI Stasis, it will be too late, she will be dead. If she were mine, I would be getting her seen now.

Sending lots of vibes to your little one,the sooner she's seen by a vet the better chance of recovery bunny has.none of this is said to scare you,just sadly with bunnies tummy problems can be fatal fast. Last monday morning I noticed my bunny didn't quite seem right(he had been really well only hours before,eating & binkying)I heard his tummy grumbling so I took him to the emergency vets,she x-rayed him & found he had a blockage in his small intestine.she operated within the hour-it was a very worrying time:cry: fortunately because we'd caught it so early he pulled through. His chances would not have been so good had I left it much longer. Hope your bunny is ok but better to be safe than sorry as they say.let us know how you get on.xx

Monday is too late if she is unwell.
Is there not a vet near you that does a saturday morning surgery and you could phone them first thing this morning and get her seen today?
Is she eating?
There really isn't anything that any of us can do in the way of advice. She really does need to see a vet.
As a youngster she is at a far higher risk of tummy trouble being really serious too. I had two young buns staying with me once, about 3 months old, one of their tummy's seemed very swollen, and felt 'doughy' to the touch along with passing a little mucousy poo, I took her too the vet along with her sister who was at the time showing no symptoms. Sadly the one showing signs fought for a few days but sadly died at the vets and her sister who had gone in with her also developed symptoms but obviously was also treated and she pulled through.
I don't mean to scare you but just to emphasise how ill how quickly bunnies can become.
I am sure you would rather be safe than sorry with your little one and many vets do see clients on saturday. Sending lots of vibes for your little one x

Back