• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long is a spay op?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
How long does it last, does anyone know? I don't want to keep bothering my vet. :lol:

Thinking of booking time off to have the buns spayed next week. But I need to plan the times first. There's only one bus in and out of the village Mon-Fri. Leaves at 8.45am and I can be at the vet by 10.45. The bus back leaves at 12.15, so I was wondering if I could get Jura spayed in that time, if I spoke to the vet and asked for that specific time. :? Then we would be back here by 2.15pm.

I guess only one could be done in that time if it was possible so I'd take Jura. But if it is longer, I'm just as well taking both and finding a B&B that will allowed two recovering bunnies! :roll:

So are you saying you want to leave your two rabbits at the vets at 10:45 and then collect them for the bus home again at 12.15?

They won't be ready. I m guessing the oprationdoesn't tae longer than 20-30mins but any good vet will keep the rabbits till evening.

When I had my three males neutered I had to drop them of between 8:30-9:00 so the could get settled in and the vets could make sure they eat before the operation, they rang me at 1 to say all three were over the operation then I was allowed to collect them between 5-6.

I had to drop Beano off at 8:30am and pick her up at 6pm so they could keep an eye on her progress. :wave:

Mine have always come home from ops way after 3pm. Usually more like 5 in the evening. They'll want her to come round properly and preferably have eaten before they send her home.

So are you saying you want to leave your two rabbits at the vets at 10:45 and then collect them for the bus home again at 12.15?

They won't be ready. I m guessing the oprationdoesn't tae longer than 20-30mins but any good vet will keep the rabbits till evening.

When I had my three males neutered I had to drop them of between 8:30-9:00 so the could get settled in and the vets could make sure they eat before the operation, they rang me at 1 to say all three were over the operation then I was allowed to collect them between 5-6.

I was wondering if it was possible, just one bunny. Guess not. That does screw everything up! :roll:

Guess its time to start phoning hotels and B&B's. I would think it would be OK as long as I said they would stay in their carrier.

Thanks everyone! Sucks living here :(

Where I work we do the admissions at 9am then ops start around 10.30 they need that time to pre medicate the rabbit before they are put under ga. We then ask the client to ring us at around 2 to check on if their animal has woken up etc and pick up is normal after 4. The normally takes less than 30 mins as long as no complications.

Mine have always been dropped off at 9 and usually collected between 3 and 5pm. I don't think any vet would let them go home straight after the op. is there no one who could drive you there and back, or a taxi?

Mine have always been dropped off at 9 and usually collected between 3 and 5pm. I don't think any vet would let them go home straight after the op. is there no one who could drive you there and back, or a taxi?

My Mum *may* pick me up, but I really hate asking :( as she's so busy, its time she could be sleeping. No taxi's here unfortunately.

It's OK though, I don't mind booking a hotel, it will be nice to have a trip away :lol:

I've sat in on a few rabbit spays and they usually take around 30 minutes.
As other have said it's the preparation that takes a lot of time, and then keeping them in afterwards.
How awkward that there are only two buses! I hope you can sort something :(

I'd really try my best to get a lift home as it will be a very stressful day for them to go on the bus to the vets, go to the vets, have their operation, go to a new hotel where they were never there before, then go home the next day on the bus. It all sounds very stressful.
Usually you try to get them home and back into the same routine as normal to help the healing process as they will be less stressed out and plus you want them to be as stressfree as they need to eat asap.

If it does come to it, I would talk to the vets and maybe ask will they hold them over night and you collect the next day, rather than moving them again to a hotel.

Also remember that most vets do a 2day checkup and a 10day checkup too.

I'd really try my best to get a lift home as it will be a very stressful day for them to go on the bus to the vets, go to the vets, have their operation, go to a new hotel where they were never there before, then go home the next day on the bus. It all sounds very stressful.
Usually you try to get them home and back into the same routine as normal to help the healing process as they will be less stressed out and plus you want them to be as stressfree as they need to eat asap.

If it does come to it, I would talk to the vets and maybe ask will they hold them over night and you collect the next day, rather than moving them again to a hotel.

Also remember that most vets do a 2day checkup and a 10day checkup too.

I did ask if they could stay overnight and he said no :( they don't do that. I even offered to pay and provide everything! :roll:

And yep, it will be buses for the next check ups too. :(

Usually the vet will ask them to be in for around 9am then phone around lunchtime to tell you when you can pick them up.

Do you have any friends who could take you there and bring you home? It'll be very stressful having to take them to a hotel, they would recover better with familiar surroundings. I couldn't even bring Sox into the house cause it stressed him so much :(.
Hope you can get something sorted out:)..x

Would the buns be unsettled at all with being in a new environment especially after an op? Just wondering because Beano used to not eat or move if she wasn't in her own environment, she got really unsettled, but that could just be her.

I can imagine you're in a tough situation, I hope you can get something sorted x

Back