• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pets at home sellling deformed rabbits

Schumi

New Kit
Im new to all this but think others should know my story.
I have always been against getting animals from pet shops and have resisted my children going on at me to get another rabbit. But in feb I saw this little rabbit in pets at home up for adoption. They said he was too big to sell. So I adopted him. about 2 weeks later i noticed his teeth were not right. I took him to the vets and they cliped his teeth and said it would need doing every 6 to 8 weeks. well 2 weeks later they needed doing again. this was the patten for a few weeks. It was stressing him and I didnt like having to get it done. In the end the vet said it would be better for him to have them taken out.After much thought I agreed. He spent the night in hospital and now he is home all his food is cut up for him.Im glad I adopted him because alot of people who just get a rabbit and leave in their hutch would have had him put to sleep.its cost me nearly £200 so far. I have conplained and might get my money back but that doesnt bother me its the fact they get away with selling these animals.

A good example for picking one from a rescue quite a few vaxinate and some neuter, as rehoming takes a while too quite often you get to learn some history of the animal too so you know what you are taking on

where as in a pet shop you dont know wht you are getting other than the rejects from a breeder, its a very common story though

well done you on saving this bun, and also taking the time to help him :love:

buns are not cheap, and quite a few people think they are :( not on here of course we all know they are not :lol:

no they are not cheap and need alot of care. my bunny is so grumpy .I think this is down to the amount of trouble he has had. Im just hoping i can bring him back to his old self.

Well done for taking such good care of your little fella :D

Maybe when he's recovered from his dental op and is a bit more settled you will consider having him neutered? This is very likely to make him feel more relaxed & easier to handle :D

...then maybe think about getting him a little hunbun for company :love::love:

If he was in the adoption bit (unless he was only there because he couldn't be sold in the main bit) there's not really much P@H they can do, apparently they get rabbits just dumped on their doorstep

I have had him neutered.I handle him twice a day but he isnt keen. He grunts at us which none of my other rabbits have ever done.

I have had him neutered.I handle him twice a day but he isnt keen. He grunts at us which none of my other rabbits have ever done.

A lot of buns grunt :) It's just one of those things. It doesn't bother me, in fact I think it just adds to their personality :lol: Re. the handling, if he isn't keen then I wouldn't handle him more than is necessary. Obviously he needs checking over daily but if he doesn't like being picked then I would keep this to a minimum and use a carrier to move him from a to b where possible :) Is he an indoor or outdoor bun?

A lot of buns grunt :) It's just one of those things. It doesn't bother me, in fact I think it just adds to their personality :lol: Re. the handling, if he isn't keen then I wouldn't handle him more than is necessary. Obviously he needs checking over daily but if he doesn't like being picked then I would keep this to a minimum and use a carrier to move him from a to b where possible :) Is he an indoor or outdoor bun?

He is an outdoor rabbit. I have another 2 males. they are all in seperate hutches .Every day I put them out in runs. I can handle him more than my partner or daughter can . If i whisper to him as i walk he is ok lol. its just seems he doesnt like being mucked about with. Im hopeing when he has forgotten about the op etc he might calm down.he is only 7 months so I supose he has been though alot in his short life.

He is an outdoor rabbit. I have another 2 males. they are all in seperate hutches .Every day I put them out in runs. I can handle him more than my partner or daughter can . If i whisper to him as i walk he is ok lol. its just seems he doesnt like being mucked about with. Im hopeing when he has forgotten about the op etc he might calm down.he is only 7 months so I supose he has been though alot in his short life.

He's probably lonely :( Bet he'd love a speyed hunbun for company :love:

He's probably lonely :( Bet he'd love a speyed hunbun for company :love:

Id love to get him a friend.Ive never had a female rabbit.Do you think it would be fair on the other 2. They are very settled and happy on there own. when they are all out in the garden there runs are next to each other and they play along side each other.

Hi

My bun is always having problems with her teeth. Was is just his front teeth he had out or his back ones? I have mentioned having my buns teeth out but the vet is not so keen. Any information would be great.

Anna x

Id love to get him a friend.Ive never had a female rabbit.Do you think it would be fair on the other 2. They are very settled and happy on there own. when they are all out in the garden there runs are next to each other and they play along side each other.

Is there any possibility of them all having a hunbun? :D:love: I know I'm pushing my luck now :lol:

If not then not I'm sure the other two would be fine :D Are they also neutered?

Neutered boys can be bonded. My four aren't together anymore but that was because the girls were the ones who fought. The boys got on extremely well.

All the hutches & runs could be joined together to make one hooge house for them!

I'm wondering though if two boys together and one boy & one female might be better? i.e. bonding trios more tricky?

Yeah would probably be easier. I guess it depends on their personalities really.

Back