• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grimlock update

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
It's not good. :(

My vet suspects that his infection could be linked not only to his tear ducts but to his teeth and roots as well. It's not shifting but it hasn't spread. His lungs are clear. There are a few other options to try but I've had a long discussion with her about how far we are prepared to go.

And somehow I managed to not cry through the whole thing...

We are not going to use nebulisation. I know in my heart, that although it is medically sound it would not be good for Grimlock. He would panic too much and it would be too stressful. It might help, but at what cost? The aim has always been to keep him happy and I will not sacrifice his happiness for his health. At the end of the day, what's the point in him being well if he's not happy?

I am not going to put him under GA right now for any x rays or anything. Like my vet said, all it will do is give her a picture to show me, but it won't help with the treatment. When he needs another dental then we can try other options while he is already under. He is usually good under GA but as he has had problems in the past I don't want to risk them without a good enough reason. Also, his eyesight is getting worse and his third eyelid is creeping up further over his right eye. This is something she can have a look at sorting during a dental.

Right now we're back to basics and trying a course of Baytril.

She told me what I already knew, which is that we're just waiting to see how much he can deal with. He's a fighter, so I know he'll surprise me. I'm upset, obviously, but the fact that possible treatments are coming to an end is almost like a relief. I don't want to put him through treatment after treatment. It's not what he wants. He just wants snuggles and bread. Which he will be getting lots of. I don't have to struggle with the moral dilemma of do I do the treatment that he really won't like just in case it makes a difference?

I don't think he's going anywhere soon, but he isn't going to get better.

I have had so much support from this forum and I have no words to express how much you have all helped me. I know you will all continue to be there. I might seem a little distracted at times at the moment, I'm in the middle of exams and going into my final year at university as well as this. But I'm usually around at least once a day, I just might not be as talkative or as supportive to others as I'd like to be.

I'm in a weird place at the moment. I feel sad, but calm. I'm just letting Grim have lots of love and seeing how things go.

Big hugs Jenova.

I know how important Grim is to you and how much you love him and care for him.

You will do whats best for him, whatever that may be.

I'm with you every step of the way, many of us have chronically ill bunnies, and we'll walk alongside you.

Thinking of you. Big noserubs to the big man.

Big hugs Jenova.

I know how important Grim is to you and how much you love him and care for him.

You will do whats best for him, whatever that may be.

I'm with you every step of the way, many of us have chronically ill bunnies, and we'll walk alongside you.

Thinking of you. Big noserubs to the big man.

Thank you.

Ive obv missed the start quick recap?
Angel had real bother with her eye right one mainly and some days couldn't open it. She had to have loads of flushes before our now rabbit vet decide to get x-rays turned out her tearduct had shut down and the next flush could rupture it killing her anyways she now has denatls every 1-3 months and eyedrops to flush through her eye and keep tearduct not inflammed. She recently had loads of guk coming out of her eye which is quite noraml but this was motre than usual so took her back and she had infection down in her tearduct which is now sorted.
They cant remove her teeth as the roots go right deep into her brain area and thats what is causing her tearduct to be shut off obv this has prob nothing to do with your buns eye but we had kinda giving up and found a year later down the line that it wasn't as serious as thought (our other vet was saying he would eventually have to be pts) she snorts really bad when the eye guk gets clogged in her nose and sneezes a lot but after her dental shes great untill next ones due.
Oh she has severe mouth disease but shes good.

winnies angel, Grim has all sorts of problems. The eye thing is just a sort of nuisance. He's had his incisors out, abscesses in his jaws, his tear ducts are blocked, completely so on the right hand side. He's had an ulcer in his eye, his back teeth are half rotten and some have fallen or been taken out, he only eats soggy pellets and sometimes bread, his guts are probably a little messed up, well his diet is so restricted. He's had continuous dentals, one of which he almost didn't wake up from. He's in and out of the vets every other week and then on top of all that he got pasteurella...

It looked like the depocillin was on top of it, but then it all came back worse and now his eyes are running and his nose is running and he's getting fur stuck to his nose which is making it sore. He gets so stressed when I try to clean him that it makes his symptoms worse.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance, but we've kind of been thought it all. Not given up yet, there are still things my vet and I can try, but not much.

Our little Grim is a trooper, remember the time I freaked out over Simba and Smoo having a fight and Simba got a scratch or two? I was so upset that I'd let it happen I started to cry.

Then Simba angrily stomped and snorted on my lap because I'd stopped stroking her and fussing her to rub my face.

It was like she was all "pull it together, i don't care now looove me!!"
So stay strong!....or Grim may stomp on your lap :)

Love you Jenobees!
xx

Can't really add anything useful, but just wanted to send some vibes for Grim and (((hugs))) for you.

Back