• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

accidental bunny acquisition

glossta1

Alpha Buck
I seem to have a new young bun. It was dropped in my bedroom doorway by the cat. It dashed in and ran for cover. I have not seen it since! I have peered behind things and under things to no avail. I need to check it over, but I think it is unmarked.

I have always managed to catch and release before, so this is a first. What do I do now?

I have put down some freshly picked grass and dandelions and the cat's non-spill water bowl.

Anyone done this before?

Is it a wild rabbit? I can't really offer much advice, someone more knowlegeable will come along soon.

You have done the right thing my giving it food and water, have you got somewhere for it to hide? A dark, covered place, a cardboard box will do, poor thing will be in severe shock.

So many hiding places

A wildie, yes.

It's a big room with so many places to hide - I can't see where it has snuck itself in. Under a wardrobe? Behind the drawer units? I can't see how I can possibly search it out - it'll just run for somewhere else. All the drawer units have a channel behind for skirting boards/cables etc. I will have to tempt it out, I think.

I do have a rabbit trap, so if I can get it taking food I can use that.

If it stays in there much longer I won't be able to release it safely, though, will I? Will it be killed by others for having lost its wildy smell? Will it still need its mum? It seems quite well grown - I've seen smaller bunnies grazing by the roadside.

All knowledge and ideas welcome.

I don't know much else about wildies to be honest with you.

Its good you have a trap, perhaps if you make the room dark and really quiet it will eventually come out?

Hopefully someone more knowlegeable will come along soon.

I had to extract a wlidlie from behind a boiler once. shining a torch at one end made it back out te other side, but you'll need two people to do that. Good luck!

sad outcome

I feel guilty that it has taken me so long to come back online to report, after several of you were kind enough to offer helpful thoughts and ideas.

First outcome was that bun poo was foud in the corner where the bun was last seen - very promising. I put apple pieces aroud the area, including down the sides and underneath the hardest to move wardrobes etc. This is as well as the grass, dangelions and herbs I had already put in that corner, plus the dish of water. Nothing appeared to be taken.

Hours later bun was found dead out in the middle of the room by the bed. Clearly he/she had broken cover, but either had not found the food/water or was too afraid or too internally damaged to survive (no external damage visible on the body).

Sad. But we had tried. Thank you to all who helped with suggestions and encouragement.

It was probaby the shock and cats bacteria which passed through mouth or nails that killed it

Binky free bunny

Back