• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dougal..vibes please

capel

Warren Veteran
Our wonderful bling/deaf housebun has come down with bloat. The usual scenario..fine last night, but this morning wouldn't eat and very quiet. He's been seen by the vet this morning and had a painkiller, gut stimulant and antibiotic. He's still not wanting to eat so I'll give him some crirical care shortly. Loads of vibes please and if anyone's got any extra tips, I'd be grateful.

Poor lad :cry: Did the Vet say where the bloating is, stomach ? Intestines ?

Did Vet give any SQ fluids or advise giving Gripe Water/Infacol ?

Lots of get well vibes for Dougal xx

Hi Jane..He's drinking and weeing fine. . She told me to let him settle a bit when home and then syringe feed him.I was thinking about infacol but wasn't sure if I could give that on top of his jabs

Vibes for the lovely Dougal.

I was told by my vet that it is fine to give Infacol regardless of other medicines and I have used it with my buns when they have had other injections, etc.

When mine have had bloat or stasis I have always found that fresh herbs are the best thing to get them eating again. Coriander and parsley have worked best for my buns. Dandelion leaves also seem to tempt them to start eating again.

Noooooooo, sending mega vibes for lovely Dougal.

Hannah.mc on here tempted her bunny with some hawthorn which is supposed to help the digestive system too.

Sorry to hear this Hilda..my vet says fluids are the most important thing to help the gas disperse..on top of the meds he is already on of course!
so sub cut fluid therapy is something I would ask for ..will keep fingers crossed xx

Thank you everyone. Still no change. I'll give him more infacol at 2.30 and if still no improvement he'll go back to the vet. Thanks, too, for the info on Subcut fluids

Sending lots of Vibes my bunny got it for the first time in a year and I thought it was because the night before I had brought a new bun home and it was stress. Because I lost Bobby last year with it I panicked. It was bank hol Sat and my infacol had been opened for over 2 months. I made some peppermint tea and let it cool and rubbed her tum and gave her the peppermint when cooled and then rang the vet at 10am. Not sure if it was luck or what but she was ok within 2 hours and in the past it's been 7-14 hours not knowing then what I do now. sending lots of vibes
P1000536-1.jpg

When Bouncer had an episode of not eating a few weeks back it was fresh grass & foragey type things that got him going again i.e. Bramble, dandelion & hawthorn mostly. Getting him to move about (if not in pain) also seemed to help (got things moving again).

We don't know what was wrong with him, whether it was the early stages of gas but thankfully just over 24hrs later he was eating by himself. I hate syringe feeding :(

A small word of warning to anyone reading this thread re massaging bunnies tums..this must be done very gently and with caution
The rabbits stomach can tear easily so if inflated with gas and then given harsh rubs can be dangerous..so gently gently:D

See this smile? :D About 15 mins after the 2nd dose of infacol he was lying flat on his tummy when there was a loud gurgle..I heard it over the sound of the TV!!!...Dougal shot across the room(wonder if it frightened him!) then started grooming himself . A few mins later he waddled off to the kitchen where he finished off the pellets he'd ignored this am. 10 mins after that there was a HUGE pile of droppings. Oddly enough, they were totally normal looking..I'd have thought they'd have been small or mis-shapen.. Anyway, panic over for now. Thanks again for your support folks.:wave:

See this smile? :D About 15 mins after the 2nd dose of infacol he was lying flat on his tummy when there was a loud gurgle..I heard it over the sound of the TV!!!...Dougal shot across the room(wonder if it frightened him!) then started grooming himself . A few mins later he waddled off to the kitchen where he finished off the pellets he'd ignored this am. 10 mins after that there was a HUGE pile of droppings. Oddly enough, they were totally normal looking..I'd have thought they'd have been small or mis-shapen.. Anyway, panic over for now. Thanks again for your support folks.:wave:

:D

I wonder what caused it? His diet hasn't changed,nor has he been given any random treats by strangers! I never buy those processed treat things or stuff like that. The only treats my lot ever get are very occasional tiny pieces of carrot or apple...

Back