• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lapinject VHD Vaccine.. POST 10

whitehood

Warren Veteran
It can only be ordered in 5 does right ?
And when opened all five doses have to be used that day or they can't be used after.. A wastee ..
My vet does Lapinject, should I recommend her Anivac as it comes in one dose?
Does Anivac cost more ?
Can someone tell me the advantages of Anivac ?

Also when I reply should I say

Have you heard of Anivac ?
If yes, is there a reason why your practise doesn't use it ?
^ Does it sound rude ?

Lapinject does only come in 5 doses and once opened must be used within 8hrs. There is always vaccine that goes to waste plus it carries the risk that if a vet or nurse accidently injects themselves, their finger is likely to drop off!

Anivac is single use and is less risk to vet/nurse. Plus no known risks to bunnies :D Not sure on cost, we have just started stocking it where I work but I think benefits (less wastage, less risk) would outweigh a cost increase.

Hope this helps :)

Also when I reply should I say

Have you heard of Anivac ?
If yes, is there a reason why your practise doesn't use it ?
^ Does it sound rude ?

I'd say instead 'would you be willing to order in Anivac for my rabbits?' which leaves a lot of unasnwered questions and if they have had a problem then they will say, etc.

My vet told me that the lapinject was cheaper to buy, to the extent that even if the rest had to be thrown away the cost price was the same as Cylap :shock:

Another alternative: ask if you can go in when they have other buns going in for the vaccine (so the rest is used on them)? Long shot/may not be possible I realise.

Offer to pay more (if they say they will have to throw the rest away)?

ETA: sounds like the Anivac is the way to go :wave:

Last edited:
I'd say instead 'would you be willing to order in Anivac for my rabbits?' which leaves a lot of unasnwered questions and if they have had a problem then they will say, etc.

Thank you,
I replied to them just 5 seconds ago then looked at your reply,
when the vet replies back I'll ask the question you advised. :)
This is what I wrote:
Hi
And Thank you for your reply,
I was hoping you used Lapinject or Anivac because I was told the Cylap brand resulted in side effects,

Have you heard of the Anivac brand ?

I've just got back from both mine having jabs, Beano had her VHD and I was really pleased it was Anivac, I think prices will vary but it was £19 including VAT :wave:

I've just got back from both mine having jabs, Beano had her VHD and I was really pleased it was Anivac, I think prices will vary but it was £19 including VAT :wave:

Thankyou,
the jabs cost £18 at my vets
the vet hasn't replied to my previous reply asking her if she's heard of the Anivac brand.

When she replies and is not familiar with the Anivac brand, I'll tell her what it is and what the advantages are, and ask her if she could order me some.

My reply

Hi,
Have you heard of the Anivac brand for the VHD vaccination?

I was informed via rabbit forum :)
That it is safer to use than Lapinject and Cylap, as it has no known side effects and if by accident injected into the vets finger they wouldn't have to lose it.
And unlike Lapinject it comes in single doses and is less harmful to the vets and rabbits.

So I was wondering if you could order two for me, one for Jack and one for Lucky and would it cost more than Lapinject ?

Sorry for all the questions
Please reply when you can
Thank you very much,

My vet told me that the lapinject was cheaper to buy, to the extent that even if the rest had to be thrown away the cost price was the same as Cylap

It is. If you google them 5 doses of Lapinject is about £8.50 wereas 1 dose of cylap is about £9. Obviously you can't buy them without a perscription, but I used this info to talk my vet into giving me a discount if I vac 5 bunnies at a time.

Back