• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very, very poorly bun

Talael

Young Bun
Oh my god, Bisky seems to be very unwell and I'm not sure what we're going to do or what the outlook is for him!!

Bisky and I moved into a new home about 3 - 4 weeks ago with my boyfriend. The first week Bisky was ok. But since then he's gone downhill.

He's stopped eating, he was losing loads of fur and he wasn't drinking anything.

Last Friday the vet said that his gut has seized up and we had to try and force fluids into him and take him back Saturday as she didn't have the treatment available for him that day. She injected him with painkillers and something to get his gut moving. She also said he hadn't lost any weight.

Saturday: She said his gut felt less "doughy" but he still wasn't eating, pooing or drinking. She injected lots of fluid into his skin and told us to come back Monday and just to keep trying to get him to eat grass.

He ate a little over the weekend but stopped pooing completely.

Monday: Different vet. He sniffed Bisky when we got there and said that his fur smelt rancid and that's usually a good indication of illness. He felt all around his gut and Bisky kept jumping when he touched his bladder. The vet said that we needed to x-ray him to find out what was going on or we'd lose him :(

Tuesday: Picked him up in the evening. They'd x-rayed him, blown air through his bladder - nothing. Put some liquid dye stuff through - nothing. Found blood in his urine and decided it was cystitus. His gut is still seized at this time. They gave him anti-biotics, painkillers, B12 vitamins, gut stuff and more fluid into his skin. I've got anti-biotics here at home with him.

Today: He's still not eating or drinking and is pooing very little (although more then he was, perhaps 10 poos a day). I can feel all his bones through his skin so he may not have lost weight but he's definitely lost plenty of fat.

He's going back for a check up tomorrow and I don't know if there is anything else they can do as they told me on Tuesday that the fluid into the skin is the treatment for his gut and that an operation is unlikely to be unsuccessful and they would be reluctant to try it (he's a very small bunny).

Through all this he's still had buckets of energy and apart from being quite irritable it doesn't seem to have had much effect on him.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to where we might go from here and whether they know if this is something that he will recover from? Right now I'm preparing myself for the very worst :cry::cry::cry:

Edit: Forgot to say, the vet called his gut problem something beginning with an L but I'm so sorry I can't remember what he said. Also the anti-biotic is Baytril.

Last edited:
you should pm Jack's Jane, she is good with this sort of thing. i think she normally says to ask for Lactulose but i might have the spelling wrong or maybe its not the right situation, ive not been thorugh this so check with her. good luck and big vibes.

Oh no:cry: I'mso sorry I can't be of any help but just wanted to wish you and your lovely little fellow lots of luck and get well vibes.xx

My advise would be to seek out a rabbit savvy vet as it does not sound like he has been receiving the best care from the current vets. Try posting in the Rabbit chat section for a vet in your area and see if anyone can recommend one.
PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP ON HIM! I would really try and see another vet either tonight or tomorrow to get the treatment he needs which would include:

Check his teeth
Effective pain relief
Sub Q fluids
Metaclopramide
Zantack
Fibreplex
Good recovery food
Bio Lapis or Avipro

IF THE VET HAS RULLED OUT A BLOCKAGE...

In regards to how poorly he is there are things that you can try at home, your main priority is to try and keep him hydrated and keep his gut moving so anything food wise that you can get in to him is going to help, the fact that he is still passing poops is great because that shows what is going in is still coming out so keep up with it.

Here are some tips:

• Try offering him soaking wet veggies- Basil, Mint, Parsley, Dandelion leaves, Dill...
  • Mash up some of his dry food with cooled boiled water and offer it to him
  • Try syringing some baby food (Vegetable based- not meat or dairy) I use Bananna and pear or something like that.
  • Syringing cooled boiled water or even better a cooled boiled herbal tea such as peppermint or nettle

Gental tummy rubs can also be helpful if it does not cause him discomfort.

You can also purchase some bits to help him from Vets Uk

Fibreplex- http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...ibreplex-for-rabbits-and-small-rodents-p-1180

Bio Lapis- http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...o-lapis-sachet-for-rabbits-and-rodents-p-1175

Critical Care- http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...197/oxbow-critical-care-for-herbivores-p-2426

Really hope he starts to feel better soon, please feel free to PM me if you need any more advise xx

My advice is try to find a REAL rabbity vet URGENTLY as the frequency of things like the subcut fluids etc you have described is NOT sufficient and the Baytril is more likely to seize the gut than restart it.

The fact you can feel his bones means he is very dehydrated.

Post a thread asking for a recommended rabbit vet near you and go ASAP as an EMERGENCY (apologies for capitals but this is make or break for your bun)

Oh god, now I'm really panicking!! Where do I post about finding a better vet???? I don't wanna put it in the wrong place and have it deleted.

Sorry I'm just totally freaking out now :(

Thank you all for the vibes and advice xx

Excellent advice.

Post a thread on here "need bunny savvy vet in dorset" or more exact area.
Syringe feed your little man with some critical care and fibreplex,hugs,cuddles and tummy rubs. You need the vet for metoclopramide,zantac and meloxicam

Thinking of you all xxxx

My advise would be to seek out a rabbit savvy vet as it does not sound like he has been receiving the best care from the current vets. Try posting in the Rabbit chat section for a vet in your area and see if anyone can recommend one.
PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP ON HIM! I would really try and see another vet either tonight or tomorrow to get the treatment he needs which would include:

Check his teeth
Effective pain relief
Sub Q fluids
Metaclopramide
Zantack
Fibreplex
Good recovery food
Bio Lapis or Avipro

IF THE VET HAS RULLED OUT A BLOCKAGE...

In regards to how poorly he is there are things that you can try at home, your main priority is to try and keep him hydrated and keep his gut moving so anything food wise that you can get in to him is going to help, the fact that he is still passing poops is great because that shows what is going in is still coming out so keep up with it.

Here are some tips:

• Try offering him soaking wet veggies- Basil, Mint, Parsley, Dandelion leaves, Dill...
  • Mash up some of his dry food with cooled boiled water and offer it to him
  • Try syringing some baby food (Vegetable based- not meat or dairy) I use Bananna and pear or something like that.
  • Syringing cooled boiled water or even better a cooled boiled herbal tea such as peppermint or nettle

Gental tummy rubs can also be helpful if it does not cause him discomfort.

You can also purchase some bits to help him from Vets Uk

Fibreplex- http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...ibreplex-for-rabbits-and-small-rodents-p-1180

Bio Lapis- http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...o-lapis-sachet-for-rabbits-and-rodents-p-1175

Critical Care- http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...197/oxbow-critical-care-for-herbivores-p-2426

Really hope he starts to feel better soon, please feel free to PM me if you need any more advise xx

He went back this morning and they've given him:
Anti-biotics
Vitamin C (to make him hungry)
Some kind of sodium thing (to make him thirsty)
The fluid under his skin again
Painkillers

We have to take him back tomorrow if there's no change. He's getting lethargic now and is like a bag of bones :(

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's horrible to keep putting him and us through all this. I'm running out of money too (it's already over £300).

I'm taking him back tomorrow and telling them to make a decision as I can't help feeling that they're quite happy to carry on and on as they're getting paid for it.

Sorry if I sound heartless I'm honestly not but I can't sit here and watch him starve to death which is what's happening :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Anti-biotics
Painkillers

We have to take him back tomorrow if there's no change. He's getting lethargic now and is like a bag of bones :(

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's horrible to keep putting him and us through all this. I'm running out of money too (it's already over £300).

I'm taking him back tomorrow and telling them to make a decision as I can't help feeling that they're quite happy to carry on and on as they're getting paid for it.

Sorry if I sound heartless I'm honestly not but I can't sit here and watch him starve to death which is what's happening :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Please, please reconsider and take him to a rabbit savvy vet urgently!
This is very possibly something that he can make a full recovery from with the RIGHT treatment which it really does not sound like he is recieving.
I have never heard of giving vitamin C and Sodium this all sounds a bit odd to me and we have had the unfortunate dealings with statis several times.

Where abouts do you live in Dorset, maybe someone can advise on a rabbit savvy vet in your area?

Anti-biotics
Painkillers

If he has gut stasis very little of this treatment is correct.

Vit B (NOT C) promotes appetite; Sodium . . what on earth are they playing at!!!! it makes him more dehydrated not less, antibiotic is useless unless they know what he has wrong with him.

None one of the things listed will make his guts move again.

PLEASE take him to a rabbit savvy vet. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, otherwise you will not need to make a decision as he will be dead. You posted asking for rabbit savvy vets and were told of one in particular . please take him there.

If he has gut stasis very little of this treatment is correct.

Vit B (NOT C) promotes appetite; Sodium . . what on earth are they playing at!!!! it makes him more dehydrated not less, antibiotic is useless unless they know what he has wrong with him.

None one of the things listed will make his guts move again.

PLEASE take him to a rabbit savvy vet. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, otherwise you will not need to make a decision as he will be dead. You posted asking for rabbit savvy vets and were told of one in particular . please take him there.

I totally agree with Parsnipbun!
You are wasting your money going to the current vet because the 'treatment' they are giving him is actually making him worse not better. He needs proper treatment to recover and I am really sorry to say- he needs it NOW!

It may have been Vit B this morning as that's what they've given him before.

I'm near Weymouth in Dorset. I can't drive so it's very difficult to get anywhere. This isn't a decision I'm taking lightly I'm just hoping that if I put them on the spot they'll get on and do something properly altho they've told me several times that the treatment for this is the fluids they put into his skin.

The anti-biotics are for his cystitus :(

I'm just running out of money also.

I'm more then happy to treat him at home and will try anything but I'm not prepared to watch him starve if that's what is going to happen.

He's still got plenty of energy which is very confusing

Ooooh and he's eating some veg as we speak, just a little tho :)

EDIT: I forgot to say they injected him with the gut movement stuff again that they've given him each time we've been

Last edited:
It may have been Vit B this morning as that's what they've given him before.

I'm near Weymouth in Dorset. I can't drive so it's very difficult to get anywhere. This isn't a decision I'm taking lightly I'm just hoping that if I put them on the spot they'll get on and do something properly altho they've told me several times that the treatment for this is the fluids they put into his skin.

The anti-biotics are for his cystitus :(

I'm just running out of money also.

I'm more then happy to treat him at home and will try anything but I'm not prepared to watch him starve if that's what is going to happen.

He's still got plenty of energy which is very confusing

Ooooh and he's eating some veg as we speak, just a little tho :)

He needs gut stimulant medications which you can only get prescribed by the vets they are Metaclopramide and Zantac- used together will hopefully bring the best results.
He needs to be on a good probotic solution as I mentioned before and Fibreplex which you should be able to get from the vets.
I would really urge you to make contact with the rabbit vet you have been given the details of and see if they would be willing to sort out a payment plan with you.

I'm going to ring around and see if I can find someone to take me there.

I'm not sure what the gut stimulant they've been injecting him with is called but they've done that every time we've been.

Will update as soon as I can.

Thank you all for the advice

xx

Back