• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi jab interference?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby and Cookie had their myxi jabs this afternoon and now I am panicing...

I am addicted to Anti bacterial hand gel and use it like it is going out of fashion.
I just put some on my hands and before it was dry I stroked Jimby where he had his jab, will that cause it to interfer or cause him any discomfort?

Last edited:

I am addicted to Anti bacterial hand gel and use it like it is going out of fashion.
I just put some on my hands and before it was dry I stroked Jimby where he had his jab, will that cause it to interfer or cause him any discomfort?

No :)

Anti Bacterial is only effective on visually clean hands.

It is only effective for 3 sloshes before you have to wash it off, after that it just becomes a lovely rugged surface for bredding microbes.

Washing hands with soap and water is much more effective unless you are doing something sterile where you would use both.

Jts my two pence ;)

I'm sure bunny will be fine :wave:

So he is fully covered and I have not compramised the vaccine in any way?
It was the CUTICURA ORGINAL HAND HYGINE GEL

But how can you be sure?

The amount of hand gel that got onto him would have been microscopic.

Saliva is naturally anti-bacterial in rabbits and other animals if i remember rightly, so would be the same as if he licked the wound.

Rachylou - i feel for you, immensely, this isn't fair for yuo to be doing to yourself.

Jimby will be perfectly fine.

But how can you be sure?

Rach, you are now allowing your OCD to impact on the fact the your Rabbits are vaccinated.

I am 100% certain that a microscopic drop of almost dry hand gel will do NOTHING to interfere with the efficacy of the vaccine.

All my reassurance wont help as you are not listening to anything but the OCD.

Thankyou Gray, I am driving myself mad to be honest!
I called the vets and spoke to the nurse who said that it would not be a problem and if anything would just have cleaned the area but I am still questioning it and worrying, I am worried that he is now not covered for myxi! :cry:

Thankyou Gray, I am driving myself mad to be honest!
I called the vets and spoke to the nurse who said that it would not be a problem and if anything would just have cleaned the area but I am still questioning it and worrying, I am worried that he is now not covered for myxi! :cry:

He is covered. 100%. I know this is difficult. I live with someone who has very similar tendencies to yourself, although not quite so apparently severe.

Jimby is covered for Myxi. Your rabbits are fine. You are fine.

Nothing is now wrong and its all, alright.

You need to try so hard to think logically against the thoughts that are controlling you. By logically, if it helps, write down the concern. Then think about the arguments against the crazyness that the OCD brings. OCD creates totally illogical thinking. Fighting it is something you can do with logic, believe me, i've been fighting alongside this for many years and its a case of logic beats OCD EVERY time.

Immune response against a vaccination is not going to be compromised by a gel...

IT WON'T.

Now relax and have a cuppa :wave:

But how can you be sure?

As far as I am aware, vaccination works by introducing a weak strain of the disease, so the rabbit (or whoever) can build up antibodies.

Myxi is a virus.

The gel you use is antibacterial

Bacteria and viruses are totally different things - that's why human doctors won't prescribe antibiotics for colds. The gel can't have had any effect at all on the vaccine.

Also - antibacterial hand gel is a common substance, and is used in vet practices. If there was any chance of it affecting vaccines, it would be well known! There would be warnings on the vaccine, vets would be aware of it, they would tell you not to use it, and they wouldn't lie to you when you phoned up to question it. :)

I hope you can focus on these facts to try and suppress the irrational fears. x

Thankyou all for your advise! I am really trying to listen to all of you over the evil OCD but it is really strong and has been an enemy so long it is hard to ignore :(

Thankyou all for your advise! I am really trying to listen to all of you over the evil OCD but it is really strong and has been an enemy so long it is hard to ignore :(

Chin up. I know how difficult it is for you. My sister has the same problems and I have a few (fortunately not as severe) tendencies myself. So I know your mind set.

In a couple of days (hopefully less), you will have calmed about it and it will be in the back of your mind with everything else stored there. Listening carefully to what everyone is saying here will speed all of that up.

Of coures, much easier said than done I know. Just sit and sort out the facts in your head.

clutterydrawer's answer is very clear and scientific, does that relax you, the science behind it? x

I know honey :( I don't have OCD myself but can relate for other reasons. Sometimes you feel powerless against it.

Remember that every minute you spend worrying about something like this, it's a minute that you could have spent snuggling with Jimby :love: Don't let the OCD rob you of your happy times with him.

Back