• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Favourite Brand Rabbit Mix??

Alfaasil

New Kit
I'm still new to the rabbit world, and not sure of all the food stuffs out there, I know with my parrots it was trial and error to really get a brand that was good quality and that they all liked as there are so many! And I take it the rabbit brands are just as broad. At the minute Choccy is on Russell Rabbit fruity mix, hay and bits of fruit and veg whenever its going round in our house.
So the question is... "What is your favourite food brand?"
Also, do you feed pellets along with mix? If so, what is a good quality pellet?
Thank you :)

most of us here use Pellets, Im swapping mine onto Science Selective from P@H own brand. Russel rabbit is probably the best mix you can get though :wave:

If you do decide to change the dried food please remember to do it gradually-over about 3 weeks- so that it doesn't upset the bunny's tummy.

put two bowls. put a little of the new pellets in one bowl beside the normal bowl. gradually put less of the usual mix and more of the new pellets over the 3 weeks until its all new pellets.Don't mix the two as you will be confusing the smells and flavours.

Some owners find that science select is best, some prefer Allen & Page pellets, others prefer Excel pellets.

If you feed a Rabbit a mix it's important that it contains a high percentage of fibre- also the reason many owners prefer to give pellets is that some rabbits will feed selective parts of the mix and leave other bits. However if your mix has equal amounts of fibre and nutrients in every piece(some do -some don't) and your rabbit eats it all, then he should be fine.

If your vet has checked your rabbit's teeth and considers him to be within a healthy weight range then you may not want to change his diet as other's have said Russell Rabbit is a good mix.
It's true rabbits have preferences in taste too.
he should get plenty of hay/grass to help wear his teeth properly too
sue:wave:

Thanks guys! :) Can you feed pellet aswell as mix? Or one or the other... Choccy does tend to pick out the peas in his mix but he probably hasn't fully settled in yet, so I'll see how he goes on it.

Thanks guys! :) Can you feed pellet aswell as mix? Or one or the other... Choccy does tend to pick out the peas in his mix but he probably hasn't fully settled in yet, so I'll see how he goes on it.

I'd just feed the one, you dont want him filling up on mix/pellets and ignoring his hay :wave:

If you do however wish to change to pellets from mix, you must do it very slowly, over the course of ~2 weeks.

Add 10% pellets 90% mix and gradually increase pellets, decrease mix until its fully changed over.

Any diet change in rabbits should be done very slowly as they have such sensitive GI systems :wave:

Are they quite welcoming to the food change??
I know parrots are ever so stubborn its a real pain in the a** trying to change them over from seed to pellet. As they know that with seed they can pick out the tasty and usually fattening bits.
I think if I am going to swap to pellets I should do it now whilst he young and still open to trying different food stuffs. Yes?

I feed Allen and Page Naturals pellets because I like their high fibre content and low cost. Some people have found their buns lose weight on them and so I add a small sprinkle of Chudleys mix to an egg cupful of pellets. everyone finds their rabbits do well on different types of pellets so maybe buy small bags till you find one they prefer.

The vital part of your rabbits diet should be hay, hay and more hay. Pellets and mix should be viewed as treats in the way we eat chocolate. A little is ok but if it was your main diet you would soon be overweight.:wave:

Well done coming and asking for advice. Someone on here always has an answer!

welcome to the forum, i notice you have a wide range of pets would love to see their piccies :wave:

we feed science selective to our buns :wave:

Okay, so hay is the majority of their diet. I will look into those different pellet brands to see which I will try first.
Thank you all for being so helpful! :)
And yes I do own quite a variety haha, I can post pics but where should I put them?

Okay, so hay is the majority of their diet. I will look into those different pellet brands to see which I will try first.
And yes I do own quite a variety haha, I can post pics but where should I put them?

Create a thread in the stories and photo's section and post them there :wave: :)

in the section thats called your stories and photos :wave: will look forward to seeing pics, esp your thoroughbred :love:

hay is supposed to be about 80% of the diet but you might not be able to quite get there. I think its ok to eat more pellets when they are still growing.

If they eat museli mix when young it can have an effect on their teeth for the rest of their life so its good tat you are going to change over to pellets.

Keep an eye on bunny some are hardier than others when it comes to changing, def do it gradually but if you notice any issues slow down the speed of change. As already said, Science select seems to be the most recommended followed by A and P and Burgess Excel (which i use as its easier to get hold of).

Get nice and good quality hay though for feeding not the cheap rubbish stuff. I have recently gone over to hay bales (which they love!) but also use the Carrot and Apple hay mixture from the PAH woodlands range. I think generally the more expensive packet stuff is better but hay bales are good and MUCH cheaper if you have somewhere to put them.

Alfaasil, have you got yourself a good bunny vet yet? i would get one who is recommended on here if not as most vets are not bunny savvy.

I feed mine wagg pellets which are a happy medium of good pellet, good price and easily available.
I also give mine a little bit of mix as a treat or when I need them to go back in to their shed when they aren't listening to me! The mix I feed is chudleys rabbit royale, which I would say is the "healthiest" mix available. Instead of brightly coloured sugary bits, you have dried flowers and grasses. It's also a very good price.

For hay; I use hayforpets timothy hay. It's excellent quality and a very good price when bought in large bags. Plus it gets delivered to you :)

It's already been covered to change diet gradually, that 80% should be hay and the potential problems with mixed food so I won't go over that but just want to say I hope you find lots of useful information on here. It can seem a bit full on sometimes but there's a lot of good advice floating around :wave:

Burgess excel.I guess this is because the only bun I had that lived a long & healthy life was the only bun who was on a small amount of excel & the rest,hay & veggy diet.Will not change the way I feed my buns for that reason.My other buns were on Russel rabbit,hay as bedding & little veg.They had mega problems.then I joined the British Houserabbit Association[now RWA]who recommended excel & the hay & veggy diet & ive never looked back.No dentals in 11years!

Welcome :wave:

I've got 2 bunnies on Beaphar Care Plus pellets (expensive but they smell delicious!)

And 2 are on Science Selective pellets

Hi :wave:
I have one bun on science selective at the moment, and one of Excel changing to science selective (the SS pieces always get picked out first :lol::lol:)

Back