• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Pink Spots On Mimis Hocks :( u/d Thanks for the fab advise RU :)

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed them yesterday and had a proper look today. They're about a cm in circumference. One is pink and pretty benign looking, the other is a little redder so I put some sudocrem on that one...but then read on here that might make it worse??? :shock::cry: I hope not! :( Theres no bleeding or open wounds on either.

Do these sound like normal callouses or the beginnings of sore hocks?

Ive trimmed her nails, although they werent particularly long anyway. In her bed (a draw under my bed) she has a duvet, covered with 2 towels, covered with my OH's old fleecy dressing gown which in turn is covered with a fleece blanket, so its very soft! The only difference in recent months is that she has gone from carpeted floors to wooden floors, could this have caused it do you think?

Timmy and Maxs feet are both fine, no signs of callouses atall. They are both far more mobile than Mimi who is a little lazy since her head tilt bless her :oops: She is also the largest of them all, although not overweight, so I guess that all contributes.

So any advise on what to do (if anything) to prevent them becoming sore hocks is greatly appreciated as Ive never had to deal with it before :wave:

Last edited:
Gemma,

We use sudocrem under vet recommendation on the beginnings of sore hocks on Gingeys feetsies :wave:

I dont really konw what else you can do - id of thought carpet would make it worse, but you've gone the opposite :lol:

Big vibes !

Gemma,

We use sudocrem under vet recommendation on the beginnings of sore hocks on Gingeys feetsies :wave:

I dont really konw what else you can do - id of thought carpet would make it worse, but you've gone the opposite :lol:

Big vibes !

Thanks Gray :wave: Thats good to know. I read on someones thread that putting cream on can make it worse as it flattens the fur around it :? I used a cotton bud to apply just a tiny amount of sudocrem, and just on the pink spots, so hopefully it will be ok.

I wish I could get her more mobile but she prefers just hanging out under the bed to roaming very far :? Shes a lady of leisure that one :roll::lol:

Thanks Gray :wave: Thats good to know. I read on someones thread that putting cream on can make it worse as it flattens the fur around it :? I used a cotton bud to apply just a tiny amount of sudocrem, and just on the pink spots, so hopefully it will be ok.

I wish I could get her more mobile but she prefers just hanging out under the bed to roaming very far :? Shes a lady of leisure that one :roll::lol:

Yes, we only put it on the sore area, NEVER on the fur itself :wave:

We use cotton buds too. I tend to use too much intentionally, its easier to apply than keeping on having to go back with a tiny bit lots :)

Yes, we only put it on the sore area, NEVER on the fur itself :wave:

We use cotton buds too. I tend to use too much intentionally, its easier to apply than keeping on having to go back with a tiny bit lots :)

Thanks Gray i will try that too :wave:

I also might cut down her pellets a little as she is a tiny bit 'rubenesque' at the moment :oops: Timmys not overweight atall though so I'll have to sneak him extras on the sly ;)

My vet said to use witchhazel on Mini's to toughen up the skin. But you must make sure they don't ingest it and I definitely wouldn't use it if the skin was broken.

The biggest thing that helped with her though was ditching the carpet and putting duvets down.

My vet said to use witchhazel on Mini's to toughen up the skin. But you must make sure they don't ingest it and I definitely wouldn't use it if the skin was broken.

The biggest thing that helped with her though was ditching the carpet and putting duvets down.

Thats a good idea, I might have to invest in a couple of duvets to put down on the floor in her room. Problem is im pretty sure Timmy will wee on them :roll: I guess if I buy single ones they will fit in the washing machine wont they? :? Or I could cut them into 4 and sow the edges like I did when Mimi was sick, then theyre dead easy to wash.
Thanks for the advise :wave:

I read on a thread here a while ago that foam mats were good and have just bought a few of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIDS-PLAY-MAT...ness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7358de0#

I have put them over part of the concrete in their runs where they like to sit because I have a couple of buns with pink spots. Theirs are light pink and look like they are just callouses but I thought it better safe than sorry!

Oooooh thats definatly worth looking into, thanks alot :D:D:D Are they easy to clean if they wee on them?

Thats a good idea, I might have to invest in a couple of duvets to put down on the floor in her room. Problem is im pretty sure Timmy will wee on them :roll: I guess if I buy single ones they will fit in the washing machine wont they? :? Or I could cut them into 4 and sow the edges like I did when Mimi was sick, then theyre dead easy to wash.
Thanks for the advise :wave:

The low tog single ones fit in our washing machine. Were only a few quid from Asda too. :thumb: Mine weed on them to start with too. We had an interesting mix of plastic sheet, then towels, then duvet :roll: But after a few months they got the idea and the weeing virtually stopped.

Oooooh thats definatly worth looking into, thanks alot :D:D:D Are they easy to clean if they wee on them?

So far so good but only been two days!! They wipe clean easily!:wave: sounds like you have a good bit of shopping to research!! Why do these buns cause us to be always buying stuff??

So far so good but only been two days!! They wipe clean easily!:wave: sounds like you have a good bit of shopping to research!! Why do these buns cause us to be always buying stuff??

I know, I dread to think how much Ive spent on them :roll: I agonise about spending money on clothes and stuff for myself, but as soon as the buns 'need' something im happy to spend tons on them :oops:

I really like the idea of these matts, how thick are they? Do they really have alot of give in them?

I got some of the foam mats a few weeks ago. :D There have only been a couple of wees on them (that had dried overnight :roll:) and they cleaned off very easily.

They're surprisingly cushioned for the thickness of them (I think they're 12mm) and you can really feel the difference underfoot. Alfie's hock has certainly not got any worse since the mats have been down and I'm sure it's helped.

I got some of the foam mats a few weeks ago. :D There have only been a couple of wees on them (that had dried overnight :roll:) and they cleaned off very easily.

They're surprisingly cushioned for the thickness of them (I think they're 12mm) and you can really feel the difference underfoot. Alfie's hock has certainly not got any worse since the mats have been down and I'm sure it's helped.

Thankyou :D They sound like the way to go for Mimi then as we've got wooden floors and they wont move around. I think she'll prefer walking on them to walking on the wooden floor anyway, shes abit precious bless her :lol:

Might go order some now :D

Back