• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what's the best size for a hutch?

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
A 5ft double hutch or 6ft single? Im building my buns a 8x8ft enclosure and need a hutch for nighttime. Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a nice size enclosure. :D:thumb:

Personally, I would go for a single 6ft as the ramp tend to take up quite a bit of floor space in a 5ft; that would give bunnies more room to sprawl out together. :D

I think if the hutch is inside the enclosure & they have 24/7 access to the whole area it doesn't really make much difference. The additional level of the double might be nice & having a ramp gives the legs a bit of a work out :D but it will of course eat into the space a little :wave: Whichever you go for, make sure it's at least 2ft in depth :wave:

Last edited:
Also depends if your bunnies like being up high.

My nethies like to be up as high as possible, so have a double storey hutch in their aviary. And if they could get on to of that they would :lol:

I'd say either the 5 foot double, if the legs are so short they can't get underneath, or (preferably) the 6 foot single but with legs long enough to allow them to run freely underneath. They might need a short ramp from the hutch floor to the ground, but it would allow them some extra space. My buns always loved it under their hutch.

Or a 6ft with a ramp up to the roof because mine seem to like sitting on top of things rather than inside them. :lol::roll:

Or a 6ft with a ramp up to the roof because mine seem to like sitting on top of things rather than inside them. :lol::roll:

:thumb:

I'd totally for that option.

Buns like getting on top of things, so they can get an overall view of their territory.

I would LOVE something like that with a nice big run encasing it :)

Well someone has to be on "look out" duty! :lol:

:lol::lol: Exactly. :thumb:

I put a 4ft hutch into the kennel the winter before lasst so they'd snuggle up in it and keep warm - the hutch itself became a toilet and they just sat on the top. :roll:

:lol::lol: Exactly. :thumb:

I put a 4ft hutch into the kennel the winter before lasst so they'd snuggle up in it and keep warm - the hutch itself became a toilet and they just sat on the top. :roll:

:lol: You gotta love em :lol: At least it made cleaning out easier :lol:

Hi thanks for all your replies! i think i will go for the 6ft single. I've spoken to my oh (who is building the enclosure for me!!) and i think we will build a run underneath the hutch. They will have access to the hutch during the day but Im considering shutting them in the hutch at night as we get foxes in the garden and Im super paranoid about them getting scared. I will take pics and post during the build! ill put a ramp up so they can get on top of the hutch if they wish or do you think they will be too high if the hutch has got a run underneath?
Many thanks :D

Hi thanks for all your replies! i think i will go for the 6ft single. I've spoken to my oh (who is building the enclosure for me!!) and i think we will build a run underneath the hutch. They will have access to the hutch during the day but Im considering shutting them in the hutch at night as we get foxes in the garden and Im super paranoid about them getting scared. I will take pics and post during the build! ill put a ramp up so they can get on top of the hutch if they wish or do you think they will be too high if the hutch has got a run underneath?
Many thanks :D

It doesn't need to be a run as such, just off the floor enough for them to hide under :D Re. the fox, you could cover the hutch at night with tarpaulin as many rabbits die of shock.

It wasn't going to be a sticky out run! i was just going to put longer legs on and attach wire around the bottom then add a ramp. Thanks for the advicoe on the tarpulin!

It wasn't going to be a sticky out run! i was just going to put longer legs on and attach wire around the bottom then add a ramp. Thanks for the advicoe on the tarpulin!

I knew what you meant :lol: I didn't explain myself very well. I meant the legs don't have to be that tall, just tall enough for the buns to sneak under & play :wave:

Sorry!:oops: I don't often explain things well either! yeah i was going to have it 2ft off the ground. My buns are both dwarf lops so they are not that tall when perescoping! Im getting excited now! had a proper stress head on earlier!!

Back