• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex bottom care.

KB

Mama Doe
Gorgeous Gilbert is going through some chronic health issues & is no longer as mobile as he has been previously.
He is getting very urine soaked around his rear end & I'm worried he'll get urine scald if I don't act quickly.
Am in a bit of a quandry as to how to deal with this though
I'm worried if I actually bathe him then he'll just matt his Rex fur up, same applies to sponging him with a wet cloth.
The other option would be a 'dry clean' with a cornstarch powder but he is a chronic respiratory bun, so a bit fearful of trying that approach.

Any ideas gratefully accepted, thanks :)

Is he actually incontinent or just unable to adopt the correct position to urinate ?

Different approaches to trying to minimise the risk of urine scald apply depending on why Bun is getting urine soaked fur.

Clipping the fur (with electric clippers, as if preparing the area for surgery) is sometimes necessary. This not only makes bathing easier but it also means that you can apply a barrier cream to the skin.

If not clipping then IME it is essential to wash the fur at least once a day and then thoroughly dry it with a hairdryer (cool setting). Urine scald is almost inevitable if Rex fur is constantly wet with urine.

Personally I prefer to clip the fur :)

Hi Jane - thanks for your input especially when you have your hands full with poorly buns- was hoping you would see this though!

Is he actually incontinent or just unable to adopt the correct position to urinate ?
No not actually incont, just not keen on moving around so much.
So he doesn't always want to move to a litter tray even if its handy & just urinates where he is.
He is tired really & running out of steam :cry:
He has had chronic respiratory issues which we are not winning in the treatment of.
I had decided to withdraw treatment as it was not working & was making him miserable anyway. We simply don't have the treatment options available (here in NZ) that you guys have for buns in the UK.
With just palliative care he is a changed bun, happy, interactive & enjoying life, seems to be oblivious to its diminished quality.
Because he seems so chipper I've now had a change of heart & am going to try one last time to get him well. Will also discuss pain relief his vet as although he seems comfortable he may not be & it might just improve his mobility.

I think on reflection, clipping will be the best option. Gil will hate a daily wash & the hairdryer would probably scare him.
Although if I was to try daily washes is there a risk of his fur still matting badly? Also should I just do a plain warm water wash or should I use something antibacterial in it?
Sorry just trying to think things through & do the best for my boy.

Hi Jane - thanks for your input especially when you have your hands full with poorly buns- was hoping you would see this though!

No not actually incont, just not keen on moving around so much.
So he doesn't always want to move to a litter tray even if its handy & just urinates where he is.
He is tired really & running out of steam :cry:
He has had chronic respiratory issues which we are not winning in the treatment of.
I had decided to withdraw treatment as it was not working & was making him miserable anyway. We simply don't have the treatment options available (here in NZ) that you guys have for buns in the UK.
With just palliative care he is a changed bun, happy, interactive & enjoying life, seems to be oblivious to its diminished quality.
Because he seems so chipper I've now had a change of heart & am going to try one last time to get him well. Will also discuss pain relief his vet as although he seems comfortable he may not be & it might just improve his mobility.

I think on reflection, clipping will be the best option. Gil will hate a daily wash & the hairdryer would probably scare him.
Although if I was to try daily washes is there a risk of his fur still matting badly? Also should I just do a plain warm water wash or should I use something antibacterial in it?
Sorry just trying to think things through & do the best for my boy.

The reason I said about the drying with a cool set hairdryer is to stop the fur matting. Left to dry on its own it is very likely to mat and that'll just add to the scalding problems.

Is he on any NSAIDS at the moment ? Certainly good anti-inflam' / analgesic cover will help his mobility if he has some osteoarthritis.

What meds has he had for the RT issues ? Is it a LRTI and if so how's his heart coping ?

OK sounds like clipping really is the best option.

It is a URTI.
Pseud. aeruginosa cultured but he has never produced much mucous & its not been green as I would have expected.
He has had several rounds of high dose Baytril & we have tried Bisolven.
Neither of these have helped really & being medicated makes him so withdrawn.
He is not resistant to syringing of meds, just becomes increasingly miserable.
We started a course of Deprim (Sulfamethoxazole 200mg and Trimethoprim 40mg per 5mL Oral Suspension) today. Which I know is not supposed to be effective against Pseud. aeruginosa but worth a try I guess.

He has had head & chest Xrays - NAD Cardiac wise - NAD

I actually think we are simply not on the right track but have to give the Deprim a try first.
Nothing seems to add up.
Will do with the NSAIDS, have some Metacam here so will sort out a dose.

Last edited:
Back