• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Untidy fluffy front paws....

Livi

Alpha Buck
I have recently noticed when playing with Pip she has some darker areas on the fur on her paws (near her - 'dew claw area')....

On closer inspection it seems its like a teeny bit of browny dirt (not poo), maybe like dry mud stuck on?

It worried me as I check and ensure they are clean and not soiled...obviously especially in the summer....but I cant understand what or why she has this?

Admittedly this is the bit of her paw which she 'uses' to wash herself, ie rubs her eyes, ears etc - but I dont understand why it has got like this?

She is quite fluffy and tomorrow, my sister and I are going to try and brush it out and maybe slightly trim the area to prevent further problems...

Just wondered if anyone else has these problems?!

I definitely would NOT trim or cut the fur on the bottom of her paws. Their paws are covered with fur as padding for the delicate skin. If you cut the fur you could risk leaving the skin prone to sores and infection.

Fill a bowl with newly boiled water but cooled down (just add some cold water) until it is warm but not too hot. Add a sprinkling of salt. Then wash her paws in the water rubbing gently with your hands. That should take the stain out.

Sorry I shouldnt have said paws, I mean front legs - around her 'wrist' area....

Thank you for the advice tho! Will try bathing the grubby bits!

Back