• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

did i do the right thing???

shell1805

Mama Doe
ok, so we picked bella up from the vets at 6.10pm and saw the vet to discuss how the tear duct flush went. the vet explained that while tryingto flush out bella's eye, the water wouldnt pass down her nasal passage and bascially eventually backed up and made the puss/discharge come up out her eye. so there is definately a blockage in her nasal passage. she also flushed out her other eye to compare and that has the same issue :?

she said that bascially wihout an x ray we wouldnt know whether its a boney growth, tumor or abssess but that whether it was any of things things it is extremely difficult to operate on because of where it is. she also thought an x ray would be pointless due to this!

bella has been given baytril for 2 weeks to clear up any infection and then we have to go back. as for the blockage, the vet said as long as is not causing bella any pain or causing reoccuring infections we are to leave it and that bella may just have a weepy eye from time to time.....

should i have pushed for the x ray???

im so bogged down with all the maybe's that my head is in a whirl.

would any of you guys done differently???

:(

I trust my vet, so I would go with what he said... It sounds like yours thinks that an x-ray could show what the problem is, but there would be very little they could do, if anything. I would probably leave it for a while, and maybe if it gets worse push for something more just in case.

but now i cant get it out of my head that it may be a tumor :cry:
but then would it be in both nostrils??? the vet seems to think bella may have always had this but the originial eye ulceration may have just high lighted it :(

Xray isn't a limited time deal so you can see if the flush works and if she has on going problems then consider an xray.

Blocked tear ducts are very common, and aside from antbiotics there is little that can be done. In fact the most important thing is for the rabbit to have a partner to clean their eyes for them. You should be glad that your vet did not push you to have a useless test done. An xray would be a waste of money. Money used to better effect by extending the rabbits run, whihch would contribute much better to their health in the long term.

If the eye gets worse, an injection of engemycin every three days is extremely effective for most tear duct infections. It needs to be long term though or they just come back.

Clipping the hair under the eye with dog face trimming scissors (that have nice safe rounded ends) can keep the rabbits face from getting scalded by the excess tears.

Poppy had the same and had x-rays and they were in-conclusive anyway. If there is nothing they can do I really don't see the point. I don't know Bella's whole story and don't have a lot of experience but I would have thought extended tooth roots would be the most likely, or some kind of boney tissue, rather than a tumour.

Poppy had depocillin injections which worked really well. She doesn't have them anymore but since the problem started I have got Peter and without a doubt he has been the best 'medicine' to Poppy's problems-bunny friends cleaning are great for managing the problem.

thanks guys for all your comments :wave:

i have calmed down a great ammount and bella is doing fab. she hates having to have the baytril (we have to wrap her in her fluffy blanket as she struggles so much) but she is getting used to the routine twice daily. i think it was the inital shock that got to me the most, she is my first bun and to have her ill was very hard to see :(
however i bathe her eyes and she is keeping them really clean herself so fingers crossed it is something we can manage for her xx

Sorry I missed this before. I too would go on vet advice and your own instinct. You and Bella's vet know her best. :) Hope she continues to keep as well as possible. :love: xxx

I am glad you are feeling better about things!! It really can be something very manageable. Bella has you looking after her and that's what matters!!

I am glad you are feeling better about things!! It really can be something very manageable. Bella has you looking after her and that's what matters!!

:wave: thanks hun, sometimes it just takes someone else to put things into perspective for you and you guys have really done that for me :)

Back