• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing vets!

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
Long storey short. Vet didn't feel it neccissary to give either my male OR female rabbit pain killers after their neuter and spay! Due to this the male removed his stiches himself, I insisted painkillers even though they said he wasn't in pain, even though he had an open surgery wound.......I demanded painkillers for days after the Blossom spay after that experience.

It speaks for it's self and now I've decided to get a new vet for the up coming summer to continue throughout their happy lives. My old manager had a rabbit too and told me about the vets they go to and mentioned how great they were. After an email to explaining my reason for searching for a new vet, this was their lovely reply :)

"Hi Laura
Many thanks for your email. I am so sorry to hear of your bad experience and hope your little guys are ok now?
I am sure you can appreciate I am unable to comment on what other practices do so I will concentrate on what we do! We are not like all other vets and we are very proud of our protocols.We try very hard to inform clients of this when they are ringing around for prices- like everything in life you tend to get what you pay for and whilst we try to be as competitive as possible we will never compromise our level of care.
We give pain relief before surgical procedures and then 3 days of Metacam for post op use. We never have the point of view that a pet wont need pain relief because we are not with the pet once it goes home to judge their needs. Our philosophy is that we provide pain relief rather than waiting to see if the pet is in pain first. The metacam is included in our surgical fee and is charged at EXACTLY the price we pay.
Most of our vets suture intradermaly with dissolvable sutures so there is nothing for bunny to nibble at.
You are correct in pointing out that we have Richard Rice Grubb on our team- he has a special interest in exotic care and will be taking the whole team forward to another level in improving our overall care of rabbits and other exotic species. Our nurses are currently taking added training in rabbit nursing. We don't like to stand still and rest on our laurels!!
We are very excited here to be on the verge of launching our bunny club- similar concept to our puppy & kitten clubs which are very well received. Along with educating new rabbit owners with husbandry tips and advice the club will have regular offers to members. keep an eye on our website www.willowvet.co.uk or on our facebook page.
So its an exciting time for bunnies at willow.
I hope I have answered the points you made but if I haven't I would be happy to hear from you again. It is always interesting to hear what our clients want from us.
kindest regards
Dawn Kent
Practice Manager"

How lovely and reasuring is this message! Needless to say I have now registered and will enjoy meeting them to see what they are truely like. Plus they're opening a bunny club! EXCITING :D

That sounds great :) I like that they've takenthe time to write such a comprehensive email to you, and that because they've responded to things you said to them, it's obviously been written for you rather than just a standard message they send to all new clients.

Hope your bunnies do well under their care :D Are they ok, after their ops?

That sounds great :) I like that they've takenthe time to write such a comprehensive email to you, and that because they've responded to things you said to them, it's obviously been written for you rather than just a standard message they send to all new clients.

Hope your bunnies do well under their care :D Are they ok, after their ops?

Thats how I felt, that they spoke to me as an individual, not a customer or client. Very friendly but also proffesional too! They are ok, luckily thumper healed ok without any vetinary attention! They didn't want do disinfect it or anything. But it scabbed over nicely and she recovered amazingly, eating hay straight away and her food. I'm excited about this new vets, they seem "proper".

Back