• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not sure what to do now about vhd vaccs

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc and matt have always had the cylap vaccine. and have never had any problems. but so many people are talking about it now and not using it.

but what if i changed and then they had a reaction to the new one :shock: do i stick with the cylap because it has always been fine? :?

the vet has seen two reactions to lapinject he said, but he also said it is my choice and he will order in whichever i want to use..

I don't think it matters whether they've had it before. I think it's entirely random whether they have a reaction or not, possibly because of where exactly in the body the vaccine ends up.

I wouldn't use Cylap.

i'm stressing again! :roll: only because so many other people have seen problems with it. :shock:

i know, i did worry i must be honest, i think reading things does scare me! but i think if they havnt had any reactions in the past best to stick to the thing you know reacts fine with thier body :) casper being elderly has had alot of VHDs in his life and never had a reaction and poppy is on her 4th one with no reaction :)

I don't think it matters whether they've had it before. I think it's entirely random whether they have a reaction or not, possibly because of where exactly in the body the vaccine ends up.

I wouldn't use Cylap.

so that would be the case with any others aswell then? i just see so many people say about reactions to cylap and then decided to use lapinject, asked the vet and he told me about the reactions to lapinject! :roll:

I wouldn't use Cylap.

o :oops: i dont know anything, i just know reading things can scare when alot of buns dont have any reactions, casper and poppy are fine thats all i can say, i just think its got to be 50/50 as cylap can have reactions but changing to a different one could also have a reaction

i know, i did worry i must be honest, i think reading things does scare me! but i think if they havnt had any reactions in the past best to stick to the thing you know reacts fine with thier body :) casper being elderly has had alot of VHDs in his life and never had a reaction and poppy is on her 4th one with no reaction :)

the vet always says to me that sometimes the internet can do more harm than good! :lol: especially for people like me! :shock::lol:

i'd be so upset if i changed from something that has always been fine and then they reacted to the new one. decisions! :roll:

the vet always says to me that sometimes the internet can do more harm than good! :lol: especially for people like me! :shock::lol:

i'd be so upset if i changed from something that has always been fine and then they reacted to the new one. decisions! :roll:

:lol: my vet says the same! i read so much then scare myself and go with a big list at the vets of what i thinks wrong, turns out to be really simple :oops::lol:

That is exactly why i decided to just stick to what they have always had, if they had a reaction then id know to use the other one next time, but id be gutted if i tried the new one and it reacted bad with my old little casper or poorly poppy!

:lol: my vet says the same! i read so much then scare myself and go with a big list at the vets of what i thinks wrong, turns out to be really simple :oops::lol:

That is exactly why i decided to just stick to what they have always had, if they had a reaction then id know to use the other one next time, but id be gutted if i tried the new one and it reacted bad with my old little casper or poorly poppy!

:lol: i do that, i even took a piece of megazorb to the vet and said it was a bladder stone! he tried not to laugh.. but he was smirking.. :oops:

but i used to read so much, especially when they were both really ill, and convinced myself of loads of things wrong..

i might just book the vaccs and not ask what he is using. hopefully if they haven't been affected before then they won't be this time. and they are so sensitive normally so if they were going to react to a vaccine, they probably would have by now.

i still always doubt the decisions though! :roll:

bisc and matt have always had the cylap vaccine. and have never had any problems. but so many people are talking about it now and not using it.

but what if i changed and then they had a reaction to the new one :shock: do i stick with the cylap because it has always been fine? :?

the vet has seen two reactions to lapinject he said, but he also said it is my choice and he will order in whichever i want to use..

If possible I'd go with Anivac, as there are (so far as I know) no side effects. My boys always had Cylap and were fine, until they were 5. That year they both got the limp, Ginger so badly he couldn't hop for several days without falling over, and were generally very poorly with it. Just because your buns haven't reacted badly in the past doesn't mean they won't this time. Keeping my fingers crossed for them.

If possible I'd go with Anivac, as there are (so far as I know) no side effects. My boys always had Cylap and were fine, until they were 5. That year they both got the limp, Ginger so badly he couldn't hop for several days without falling over, and were generally very poorly with it. Just because your buns haven't reacted badly in the past doesn't mean they won't this time. Keeping my fingers crossed for them.

thanks for sharing this. i know the vet said he will order me whichever one i want to use for them so i think i might try the anivac after hearing the stories of cylap and now your story aswell.

i'll speak to the vet before we book them anyway and see what he thinks. i would assume with them being a main exotics vet around here, that he will know all about it and will probably have it in now aswell. :)

Back