• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and cats. (Or cross species animal friendships!)

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
Does anyone else on here have felines friends who actually get along with their rabbits?
Today our young cat went into Ben's hutch! I do have photos to put online later (The OH wants to put his shiney new PC in place ASAP. That will be fun!)
Ben's indoor home is in the kitchen, which is seperated from the rest of the house by a Pet gate from Argos (that has been slightly modified to stop Ben wiggling through the gaps), he has a double storey hutch that I bought for £99 from PaH. Its large and secure, just what I wanted.
Well Evie (the cat) comes into the kitchen on a daily basis to spend time with Ben, coming in longer and more frequently as her confidence has grown. Ben is bigger and heavier than she is, so she's been very wary for the last month or so.
Ben didn't chase her out of his hutch but actually went over to be near her and snuggle! But Evie ran off, which is a shame. When Ben went to the other endof the room Evie came back and climbed inside the hutch venturing on to the top level, as well as sitting cured in his bed munching on straw!

Anyone else have this happen between rabbits and cats? Or rabbits and any other animals? In the past my Fudge mothered our guinea pig and mouse, whilst our old dog Rex used to help the vixen at the bottom of my mam's garden!

I can't say any of mine are the best of friends really, they get along, but nothing super serious.

My friend however, she can't have 2 bunnies, but her bunny Billy and cat Cas are the best of friends. She sleeps in his cage and snuggles with him :love:
67876_10150106663990491_696510490_7903112_5938842_n.jpg

my cat LOVES my rabbits. he is obsessed with sleeping in the hutch and eating with them and just sitting with them :roll: the rabbits arnt fussed really.

when Maurice had to live in my room when he got EC, him and the cat were always together, they would squabble and play like siblings too!

When Sherpa was old and near the end, my cat used to go and sit with him while he ate, always looking out for him and keeping an eye to make sure no other cats came in. he was a proper 'watch-cat!'
eating breakfast with sherpa
04082010734.jpg

and sitting on the hutch keeping an eye out
04082010740.jpg

Ben and Evie have been getting more and more friendly. I'm wondering if this could be because Evie is possibly going through her first/kitten heat? She's been very affectionate with everyone, but gets spayed tomorrowed!

Today when myself and L were in the kitchen talking to Ben, Evie came in and climbed into the hutch, walked up to the top layer and started munching the hay lining Ben's bed! Ben came to see her, and sat in the doorway munching hay too. Finally a way to get him to eat hay! But when he tried to go in the bedroom, Evie would bop his nose, and he'd just sit in the doorway again munching. There's enough space in there for them both.

Guess will have to see how this friendship developes, but so glad others have had success with bunny-cat friendships.

I dont let Kayla (bengal) have immediate contact with my bunnies as i dont trust her. However, when they are in the runs, she tries to pounce at them, and the buns just look at her as if she is stupid. Kayla then rolls about in front of them like Lady Gaga :roll: :lol: :love:

ive got 3 cats all of which are fine with my bunny and also my guinea pig. My bun is a rex and a large one at that (vet says hes overweight:roll:) and he actually moves the cats out of his way if he wants to go where they are, he is bigger than my biggest cat so they seem to respect his wishes:) Although they dont seem interested in the guinea pig i never let him free range alone even when im in the house just incase there becomes a thrill in the chase :shock:

My cat is always trying to groom Poppy.. Even gets her eyes sometimes which is gross lol. She hasn't met Donny yet but he hasn't really met any other animal :? Don't want to freak him out with her kindness :)

Back