• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sticky bums

Suzanne

Mama Doe
Two of my parents rabbits, Charlie and Tia have both started with sticky bums. They have never had it before, Charlie started a few weeks ago and now Tia has started too. They were both vet checked this week and the vet could find nothing wrong and gave them panacur. Their diet hasn't changed or anything so we can't work out why this is happening.

What's the easiest way to clean off the poop has Charlie has it stuck to his belly. They are being checked a couple of times a day for flies etc.. and the conservatory is flyscreened.

Could they have recently put on a little weight? This could stop them from being able to clean themselves. Also if they are on grass I believe it's richer at this time of year & could cause a prob.

If the poo is dried I would try and gently comb/pick/tease it out of the fur (nice I know), if wet a damp cloth and a little water, I would try not to get the area too wet though as it can make the matter worse in terms of attracting flies etc.

Maybe someone will be along with better suggestions but this is what I do with Poppy.

I use warm water and cotton wool. You might find a suitable pet shampoo that you could try but if not and it gets too hard to shift i used a little bit of unscented plain soap. As above it could be that the grass is richer or as the weather has warmed up they might have been out so they would be eating more grass than over the winter months?

It could be the grass although they have access outside throughout the year on the grass but I suppose it's richer this time of year.

I would put them on just hay to see if that clears up there bottom.
if you need to wash them johnsons baby shampoo- the no tears kind is ideal

Back