• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a bun learn to like cuddles

MarieAnson

Warren Scout
I am hoping to go and look at a house bun at the weekend in Nottingham.
I have been told by his current owner that this 1 yr old buck doesn't like cuddles :( and if you try to give him a cuddle he will run away. He is very inquisitive and will often join his owner on the sofa to watch TV but only allowing touching of his head and ears.

How easy is it to get a bun to learn to enjoy contact and accepting cuddles, or is it very difficult?

There is nothing more wonderful that having a contented bunny on your lap enjoying snuggly time and I am really wanting to help this little bun find a new home.

A lot of rabbits don't like cuddles as they don't like the feeling of being trapped, or arms being wrapped about them. You may find head rubs are adequate. They may learn, it would take a while though!

Most rabbits dislike cuddles. Mine will sit on my lap when I have noms for them but that's about the only time. Or if they are trying to wake me up :lol:

A lot of rabbits don't like cuddles as they don't like the feeling of being trapped, or arms being wrapped about them. You may find head rubs are adequate. They may learn, it would take a while though!

I agree, I think I have only ever had one bunny who enjoys a big cuddle, but with his feet still firmly on the ground :lol:

It sounds like you're looking for a bunny to meet your needs, as opposed to working with and meeting the needs of whichever bunny you have.

If you want a bunny who likes cuddles, then look for one who likes cuddles. Otherwise, work to earn his trust, but accept him for who he is. :)

Mine will sit on my lap for a maximum of 2 seconds... unless he is ill. He sits next to me and lets me stroke him, he'd let me do that for hours if my arm didn't start aching!

Thanks guys.

I am not going to force any animal into doing something that I want, as was the case with Thomas he would have a little cuddle with me but it was solely on his terms and if he didn't want one he made it completely clear.

To be honest, without trying to be harsh, this guy doesn't sound quite right for you (but that's not my decision obviously).

You're struggling so much with greif right now its almost like you're searching for anybunny to bring into your life. Instead of looking for any bunny, why not give yourself some space and grieve, and the right bunny/ies will turn up. Chances are Thomas will actually send him/her/them.

To be honest, without trying to be harsh, this guy doesn't sound quite right for you (but that's not my decision obviously).

You're struggling so much with greif right now its almost like you're searching for anybunny to bring into your life. Instead of looking for any bunny, why not give yourself some space and grieve, and the right bunny/ies will turn up. Chances are Thomas will actually send him/her/them.

Thanks Sky-O for your honesty.
I am still grieving yes, I have an appointment to collect Thomas from the crem in 25 mins and I am dreading it.

I made the fatal mistake of looking at this bun as I saw that his owner had been posting for a few months trying to rehome him and since I contacted her she does sound very desperate to let him go.
I now feel a sense of responsibility to offer this bun a new home, and not let him down. :(

But if you bring a rabbit into your home that isn't right for your home, then that is also letting them down if you couldn't meet his needs. However, I don't believe that if you didn't take this bunny that you would be letting him down. The person letting him down is the one rehoming him, not you.

Good luck with picking up the ashes, hope it's not too traumatic. I've got a friend whose bunnies both love cuddles, i didn't put one down when i was at her house last weekend, it was so nice to get a bunny cuddle as mine all hate it. (unless they're at the vets, when they suddenly decide i'm the best bunny mummy ever lol)

I've compromised with Joejoe and get 'floor cuddles' where he stays on the floor and i crouch down next to him and put my arms either side of him, combined with lots of noserubs and some head kisses, i even get licked back and he seems to enjoy it :)

if you really want a cuddly bunny though, then hold out until you find one otherwise it's only dissapointing in the long run if that is important to you.

I agree with this completely. It might be an idea to search for a cuddly bun instead, Windwhistle Warren have a buck called Panda (I think) who adores being picked up and stroked. They have plenty of females to pair him with too.

Or if you have your heart set on this little guy, why not when you get him a partner go for one that likes cuddles? To be honest he seems very confident and friendly, more so than many rabbits.

I agree with this completely. It might be an idea to search for a cuddly bun instead, Windwhistle Warren have a buck called Panda (I think) who adores being picked up and stroked. They have plenty of females to pair him with too.

Or if you have your heart set on this little guy, why not when you get him a partner go for one that likes cuddles? To be honest he seems very confident and friendly, more so than many rabbits.

I think that is a really good idea. There must be a cuddle bun in a rescue somewhere?

I need Panda:shock: He sounds so wonderful:love: I love the update, it's like "huh, a rabbit that wants to be picked up:shock:":lol:

I need Panda:shock: He sounds so wonderful:love: I love the update, it's like "huh, a rabbit that wants to be picked up:shock:":lol:

Completely, completely off topic, but you've had a name change?

Also, I agree with getting a bonded friend who is cuddly. Grand solution as long as the bunny chooses his new friend himself :)

Completely, completely off topic, but you've had a name change?

Also, I agree with getting a bonded friend who is cuddly. Grand solution as long as the bunny chooses his new friend himself :)

I promise, you are not as shocked as me:shock: That was super fast:lol:

Back