• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best fox deterrent?

Foofy

Alpha Buck
Unfortunately I saw a huge fox in my back garden early on Monday morning this week, he ran off as I think I scared him. I have lived here for 12 years and never seen a fox in the garden before, obviously because of my buns I do not want a return visit.

What is the best fox deterrent to get to put in the garden? And does anyone know how effecive they really are? I have a 6ft fence/wall all round my garden so the fox must have climbed/jumped in. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Firstly, make sure all your rabbit housing is secure. Make sure all the mesh is nailed to the wood with no gaps, wood is secure and not rotting etc. I have L-shaped metal brackets on the inner corners of wood in my run to strengthen it a bit. After we saw a fox I went a bit mad with padlocks, they are on every door of the shed and hutch and I also padlock the lid of the run, as I've heard cases of foxes being able to push the lid up and get in :shock:

I also bought a Foxwatch sonic deterrent, about £50-£60 I think. It doesn't affect my buns in anyway, they dont react to it. There are other tips, such as sprinkling male urine around the edge of your garden, or human hair. Not tried these myself though! I'm sure a couple of people on here have electric wire/fencing on top of their existing garden fence which is probably one of the best solutions.

I should add, for the sprinkling of male urine around the border fences it is better to use a small watering can to avoid the possibility of upsetting neighbours.:lol:

sue:wave:

If you have a run attached to a hutch make sure the fox could not dig underneath. One way to do this is to lay a patio(or concrete) then turf over it, making sure the solid ground goes beyond the perimeter of the run.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for your replies. Have been looking on the internet for fox deterrent and seen the sonic deterrents so might get some and put on top of the walls, back of garden (we back onto a road) and the side (we are end house) facing outwards. I assume the bunnies cannot hear the deterrent if its facing out of the garden? Have also seen some plastic spikes you can put on top of walls or fences might try these too :D

Might get my husband to do the necessary for the back and side borders as well but not the other border with next door :lol::lol: I also have a friend who is a hairdresser so next time she cuts my hair I will ask her to collect some for me and sprinkle that around on the outside of the 2 walls too :D

If any one else has any ideas please that would be much appreciated? Thanks :)

Maybe try growing something up the walls that is thorny? I know that would put off cats, not totally sure about foxes :?

Re the sonic deterrant - the one I use (I think the website I bought from was called Primrose London or something) is triggered when the buns hop past it and they have never shown any signs of being bothered by it. I mean, they even sit right in front of it and snooze, have a wash etc. So I "assume" they can't hear it!

Maybe try growing something up the walls that is thorny? I know that would put off cats, not totally sure about foxes :?

Re the sonic deterrant - the one I use (I think the website I bought from was called Primrose London or something) is triggered when the buns hop past it and they have never shown any signs of being bothered by it. I mean, they even sit right in front of it and snooze, have a wash etc. So I "assume" they can't hear it!

Hi Debster, thanks so much for your reply I do have something quite thorny growing on the side of the garden where I think the fox jumped over but it's not quite up to the top of the fence yet won't be long though :)

That's good to know the sonic deterrant doesn't affect buns in any way, I did ask them via question on Ebay if they knew about this but they couldn't say for sure. Just going to go and order one now :) I was thinking of putting it on top of the wall facing out of the garden to try and stop fox jumping over wall would this be any good?

Any other ideas anyone for keeping foxes out?

I'm thinking of buying a sonic fox deterrant too. :( I worry about foxes every single night.

Just wondered, where did you see the spiky plastic thing that you can put on the fences? I might get some of that too.

I'm thinking of buying a sonic fox deterrant too. :( I worry about foxes every single night.

Just wondered, where did you see the spiky plastic thing that you can put on the fences? I might get some of that too.

I ordered my sonic fox deterrant last night through Ebay so hopefully will arrive in the next few days :)

The spiky plastic strips for the top of fences was also on Ebay it comes in strips and you can even get all different colours. If you do a search on Ebay for fox deterrent it comes up, seems to be quite reasonably priced too :) I askeed them about fixing onto brick walls and you can but they recommended fixing it to wood first then the wall.

No but I have a friend who was looking for ideas on bun safety and she found their advice very useful. I think it may be a pre-recorded message but there's email info on there too.
It's a good charity. :)

No but I have a friend who was looking for ideas on bun safety and she found their advice very useful. I think it may be a pre-recorded message but there's email info on there too.
It's a good charity. :)

Thanks very much just had a look at the website, they say the sonic deterrents are not very effective, just ordered one:( will ring and listen to the message over the weekend.

Thanks very much just had a look at the website, they say the sonic deterrents are not very effective, just ordered one:( will ring and listen to the message over the weekend.

This is the one I have http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/foxwatch-p-1722.html it was recommended by a couple of people on here. Although I didnt/don't rely on this to keep foxes away (I made other changes to our set-up to try and make it safer), we have never seen or heard a fox in our garden since.

This is the one I have http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/foxwatch-p-1722.html it was recommended by a couple of people on here. Although I didnt/don't rely on this to keep foxes away (I made other changes to our set-up to try and make it safer), we have never seen or heard a fox in our garden since.

Oh good as I have ordered one from the same Company but not exactly the same model so maybe it will be OK. Quite a few people seem to have them, so maybe they do work. Am planning other stuff too to try and keep the foxes away.

Back