• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello I'm new to the bunny world can you help me??

Sarahlou527

Young Bun
Hello everybody...

I am new to all of this and looking for some advice. We are picking up our new French lop bunny named Dave at the beginning of July. I want him to have a lovely home and don't know where to start. I've been looking for a large six foot hutch in my area (kent) but am having little joy. I have seen that some people house their bunnies in converted playhouses but I have no clue on where to start with this and how to set it up? Do you set them up like normal hutches or having different flooring. Also Ventialtion and heating? I was thinking maybe the playhouse might be a better idea for the winter etc?! Really I have no clue where to start so any help advice or pictures you could show me to help get me started would be brilliant! Thank you everybody :)

Have a browse of the "Housing" section on here :) There's loads of good info already out there. And then you can ask specific questions of what you're not sure of! You can find the "Housing" section under "Rabbit Care and Welfare", and then under "Rabbit Care Discussion".

It is great that you are getting advice on the best housing prior to getting your bunny. Are you getting Dave a friend? Bunnies are better in pairs, they like company of their own type.

French Lops are big, so need space. I am not sure of outside houses as my bunnies are indoors, they have their own bedroom in my house :)

Someone will come along soon to help.

Welcome to the forum x

Thank you very much. Is it unfair to keep just one rabbit? He will get loads of attention everyday. I thought the cost of two could be to much and would rather give one rabbit a wonderful experience in life then two an average time !

Thank you very much. Is it unfair to keep just one rabbit? He will get loads of attention everyday. I thought the cost of two could be to much and would rather give one rabbit a wonderful experience in life then two an average time !

Apart from Vets bills etc, my two don't cost me much more than when i had one. There are circumstances when i would say yes, it is ok to keep one Rabbit, but in general they are happier as a pair (male & female, both neutered).
Now that you have joined this forum, you are running the risk of getting more than one Rabbit anyways, it's got a way of encouraging you to get bunnies :)

I've just bonded my Zoidberg with a girlfriend, and he seems really happy, they both do actually.

Could we start off with Dave and add a lady friend later if we get on ok or do you have to get them at the same time?

we had zoidberg for a year, and he was pretty happy, but now he's got a gf, we dont feel so bad about him being on his own when we're at work, and he does seem happy with her, and they are so cute together :love: I would highly recommend it.

If you get insurance, it wouldn't work out much more to look after 2 than one, even in the event of vet bills.

Could we start off with Dave and add a lady friend later if we get on ok or do you have to get them at the same time?

Yip, you could certainly do that :) You will probably want to get Dave neutered anyways, as it helps with litter training and stops the boy buns spraying.

There are people who run rescues on here, they would even ttake Dave and bond him with his prospective wife when the time was right, means you would be helping a rescue out too :)

There are a few people that have shed set ups, where they have a shed with an attached run, they would be good for Dave.

So have you met Dave? Any pics?

Ah getting Dave a rescue girlfriend sounds like a super idea. We will be getting him neutered for sure. We have met him it was love at first sight
I have a pic but don't know how to put it on here :-D !!

My boy bun Bramble is in an outdoor hutch with run attached, he also gets supervised free ranging time on the patio which he loves. Bramble was neutered 7 weeks ago and we are picking up a girlie bunny for him this weekend!

Do you Keep your bunnies in a hutch? Playhouse? Indoors?

I keep my 2 in a hutch with a run at the min, but Im going to get a shed or something similar and a bigger run or aviary :D

If you got to the photos section Nursecroft has posted pictures of a playhouse set up, and if you can find The Duchess profile you can search for her threads, she has some AMAZING playhouses

i think that everyone on here who has paired or group bonded bunnies would agree that they are happier than on their own, the way they snuggle and interact, humans just cant do all that sort of thing and you can tbe there all the time. if he has a friend you wont have to worry abotu him being on his own during the day or if you go on hols you can just get someone to feed him and check on him and he wont be lonely.

If you have a hutch and run attatched do you have to close of the run section At night for safety ?

Yip :)

If you have a run then it is recommended to put it either on slabs, or to dig and lay welded mesh under the grass to stop digging out or foxes digging in

If you have a hutch and run attatched do you have to close of the run section At night for safety ?

You certainly could do this, I don't, but that's because Bramble really only uses his hutch for the litter tray :roll:, and spends all his time in his run! I just cover the whole thing over at night with a tarpalin.

I have a big girl Lola and her husbun Peter, have just changed from a hutch and run(s) to a nice playhouse , tunnel and runs ! I cover the run and tunnel at night and put wooden boards ontop to create weight, its on the patio. It is so much easier to cope with a playhouse IMHO as my hutch was ground level which made it very difficult to get to to clean out etc. Full price playhouses start at about £140 (Waltons are good) but I got carried away!!!! (insulating and boarding, chew-proofing). Lino on the floor, it's a home from home!!:wave:

I have 2 french lops and I would not put mine in a hutch, I have a kennel/run. I would definately suggest you get a shed/run or kennel/run especially if you are planning on having 2 rabbits which again is advisable.

Lots of pics of peoples set ups on this forum which can point you in right direction :wave:

Back