• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby wildie well but not gaining weight IDEAS?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Our little baby wildie (see other thread) appears well and is happy and sleeps and is active etc etc and is taking feeds from our lactating doe and also by syringe but is NOT gaining weight - in fact in 4 days has actually lost 8 gms.

Any ideas?

He only takes very little with the syringe (max 3mls) and then turns away from it. he gets fed from Carnation Lily twice a day (with our help but her co-operation).

The vet gave me Royal Canin for baby kittens to make up double strength but I am wondering if we should try something else?

Or should we just try and insist he feeds even when he does not want to? (dangerous that - aspiration etc).

He is developing ok and looks bigger to me BUT our scales are accurate and he is definitely loosing a little weight - he should be gaining 5gms a day I have been told.

How often are you/your wonderful bunny feeding him? When he's are finished, does he look like he swallowed a pingpong ball?

Does he have access to hay and junior pellets as well? I'm guessing so, but had to ask.

Hi,I fed my baby wildy full fat goats milk which I added probiotics to.If he is two weeks I would put some grass and dandelions in with him,I also put pellets in a dish down for mine,they seem to eat at a much earlier age than normal kits.

Hi

Carnation Lily is suckling him twice a day . . of course we cannot know how much he gets (after all she is 4 weeks in to feeding 6 others) - he doesn't look like a ping pong ball when he finishes but he does stop suckling and wander off - so is presumably full?

We try and feed him about 4 times a day by syringe but he really takes so very little - 3ml at one time was a maximum.

He has hay and I have just started to put some crumbled Oxbow T alfalfa pellets and some tiny bits of grass in . . so worried about upsetting his tum.

Our (domestic) babies were eating a lot more grass etc by this stage but we are really worried about him getting diarrhoea. It is so very worrying doing this!!!

Good luck with your wildy,mine was fine when I added grass etc,I think having his mothers milk to start with set him up for life xxxx

I definitely agree with Maizey about the probiotic. If he takes 3mls however often you feed him, then I would suggest feeding him as regularly as you can.

Their gut changes to an adult gut at 3-4 weeks old, so he's not far off that.

I'm unfamiliar with his story, but how did he come to need your care? Is it possible mum sensed he was unwell and kicked him from the nest?

He was brought to my vets by someone who said their cat brought him in. He seems very healthy with bright shiny eyes etc and inquisitive and lively when awake - but not putting on any weight at all.

You could try adding an extra feed in. From mum rabbit would be best as her milk has the highest fat content.

Back